Summary: This is the 4th sermon in the series "Back To The Basics". This sermon asks the question, "Who is the Holy Spirit?"
Sunday Evening November 3, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: ¡§Back To The Basics¡¨ [#4]
THE SPIRIT OF GOD
1. Can you imagine how great it would have been to live daily with Jesus the disciples did? Every time they needed anything they could go right to Him. Then they found out He was going to die. In the upper room Jesus saw these men grieved. He told them that He was going away, but they did not understand. I¡¦m sure the disciples were saying, ¡§What will we do when Jesus is gone?¡¨ Jesus had to go be the sacrifice that would save forever and ever.
2. Let us study this promised One, the Holy Spirit and His mission on earth.
3. There are many misconceptions about the Holy Spirit today. The Holy Spirit is God in the human heart.
Who Is The Holy Spirit?
The Holy Spirit Is A Person
1. The fact that He is a person is shown by the uses of His Name. We use His name when we baptize ¡§Father and of the Son and the Holy Spirit.¡¨ God and Christ are persons and we connect the Spirit¡¦s name along with it because the Spirit is also a person.
2. The fact that He is a Person is shown by appearances on earth.
3. The fact that He is a person is shown by the personal characteristics ascribed to Him.
„« Knowledge: 1 Corinthians 2:11
„« Will: 1 Corinthians 12:11
„« Mind: Romans 8:27
„« Power: Romans 15:13
4. The fact that He is a person is shown by the acts and deeds ascribed to Him.
„« Brought order: Genesis 1:2
„« Inspired the writing of the Bible: 2 Peter 1:21
„« Guided God¡¦s Servants. In Antioch the Holy Spirit said to the Church, ¡§Separate me Barnabas and Saul.¡¨ The Holy Spirit spoke to Peter and said, ¡§Go down to the centurion and preach the gospel to the Gentiles.¡¨
5. The fact that He is a person is shown by the fact that He is treated as a Person.
„« Can be grieved: Ephesians 4:30
„« Can be resisted: Acts 7:51
„« Can be lied to: Acts 5:3
The Holy Spirit Is God, The Third Person Of The Trinity
1. The Spirit is shown to be God by the four divine attributes ascribed to Him.
2. The Holy Spirit is shown to be God by the three divine works which are ascribed to God only.
„« Creation: Job 33:4
„« Impart life: Genesis 2:7
„« Author of Divine prophecies: 2 Peter 1:21
3. The Holy Spirit is shown to be God by the fact that the same passages in the Old Testament which refer to God, in the New Testament refer to the Holy Spirit.
4. The Holy Spirit is shown to be God by the way in which His name is coupled with that of God and Christ in the formula for baptism and in the Bible benediction.
Where Is He Today?
1. He is everywhere, but best of all, He is in our hearts as believers.
What Does The Holy Spirit Do In The World?
He Convicts Of Sin
He Calls Us To Eternal Life
He Seals Us Unto The Day Of Redemption
He Causes Us To Remember