Summary: This is a sermon dealing with the spirit of rebellion. Number three in the spirit of Ishmael series
Spirit of Ishmael
The spirit of Rebellion #3
Gen 21:9-10 And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking.
10 Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
Intro: I want to look again at this mocking spirit
But I want to look at how it is linked to a spirit of rebellion
This word mock means to
But as you begin to look at this a little closer it means
- To look down upon
- To think lightly of someone
- It means to act against
When you act against something this is rebellion
Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
God is not mocked
- You will not make a fool of God
- You can’t ignore God
- This word here means to turn your nose up at God
- To rebel against Him
What we are talking about is the rejection of authority
This is the attitude that always manifest in those effected by this spirit of Ishmael
- They rise up against authority
- They rise up against their parents
- They rise up against their teachers
Just as Ishmael you begin to see this spirit manifest itself as they enter into there teen years
We see this same spirit at work in the church
- Young disciples begin to rise up against their Pastor
- They refuse his correction
- They refuse his discipline
Or some of them are able to hide it when around Pastor but if they are placed under another disciple’s authority it manifest
- They rebel against the youth leader
- They rebel against the follow-up leader
- They cause strife and division in what ever area they are placed to labour
- Be it nursery, cleanup crew, impact teams
This spirit of rebellion is at work
In Ishmael it was this spirit that caused him to be cast out
Ex. I have seen people over the years that have been put out of every ministry in the church
- Drama teams
- Impact teams
They can’t even be on the clean up crew because every where they go this spirit is at work
- Causing division
- Causing contention
- Causing conflict
Every where they go it is like this cloud of controversy is over them
It is this spirit of Ishmael at work
- Tonight you can be free
- Tonight by the grace of God you can be separated from this spirit of rebellion
I. The daughters of Lot
Gen 19:32-38 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
33 And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our Father.
35 And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
36 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.
37 And the firstborn bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day.
38 And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Benammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day. (KJV)
Here we find these two girls Lots daughters
- They get their father drunk
- They sleep with him/ they have incest with him
- They bare these illegitimate sons
- All of this birthed out of unbelief
- The thought that God would not make them fruitful
The one becomes the father of the Moabite people
The other becomes the father of the Ammonite people
- Both of these nations become bitter enemies of God
- This mocking rebellious spirit runs down through their generations
- They become a thorn in the flesh of Israel for generations
Balak the one who tried to curse Israel was a Moabite
Num 22:1-3 And the children of Israel set forward, and pitched in the plains of Moab on this side Jordan by Jericho.
2 And Balak the son of Zippor saw all that Israel had done to the Amorites.