Summary: The anointing of God is given for a reason. It is not just for us to enjoy the manifestation in our church services. There is a responsibility that comes with it.
The Spirit Of The Lord Is Upon Me
* How many have sensed the anointing of God at one time or another?
* Have you ever wondered why God anoints us?
* Have you ever asked God to pour His anointing on you?
* The anointing is given for specific reasons, not just so we can play in it and enjoy its manifestation
* We must be careful not to waste anointing of God
Luke 4:16 So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.
* Jesus had come back to the place where he had attended church as a youth
* There is something to be said for having a long lasting commitment to a place of worship
* In the synagogue they had 7 readers every Sabbath; 1st the priest, 2nd a Levite, then 5 Israelites
* We see that Jesus preached in the synagogues but not read
* Jesus was willing to serve in whatever position
* And He did everything in excellence
17 And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written:
* Jesus was handed the book, He was obviously in order when he stood to read
* Because He was in the perfect will of the Father, God’s will opened up to Him - the scroll - revelation
* We see Jesus submitting to authority, his humbleness, his understanding of the timing of God
* He opens to quote Isa 61, which was His prophecy
18a "The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, because He has anointed Me
* Upon (epí) - superimposed (saturation), in a relation of distribution (through me), rest on
* JTB "saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:" Mt 3:16
* "because" - there is a reason when the Holy Spirit moves upon God’s people
* anointed - smear, rub - to ordain or consecrate
* Jesus was appointed & ordained by the Holy Spirit for a work, for a ministry, to serve
* Whatever ministries we see Jesus do, we should do
* John 14:12 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.
* John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.
* Jesus is about to define His ministry, ordained by the Holy Spirit
* This is ordination is for those who want the anointing
* Quote MH - "Those who God appoints, He anoints"
6 REASONS FOR THE ANOINTING
(1) 18b...To preach the gospel to the poor;...
* Preach the gospel (euggelizo) - to declare good news, to evangelize
* Not just to preach at them
* To preach to their hearts
* We are called to preach the gospel to the poor
* Who are the poor, anyone who doesn’t know the riches of life in Christ
* Sometimes "the poor" can be real hard to preach to
* 2 Tim 4:2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.
* 2 Cor 5:18 tells us that Jesus "has given us the ministry of reconciliation"
* The anointing is given so we can preach with effectiveness
(2) 18c...He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,...
* This phrase is not in the original Greek manuscript
* But He is quoting Isa 61:1 & 2 - therefore the translators include this in the quote
* Jesus is the Great Physician not just to our bodies but to our soul as well
* Psa 41:4 I said, "LORD, be merciful to me; Heal my soul, for I have sinned against You."
* There are thousands of brokenhearted people around us... most don’t know why
* How can we heal them? - minister repentance
* Matt 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
* Psa 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
* There are hearts who are broken for sin
* Who are truly humbled in repentance
* They will find healing
* We have to be bold enough to call sin - sin
* We don’t minister in judgment or criticism
* We minister in truth and love
(3) 18d...To proclaim liberty to the captives...
* Captives - prisoners of war
* Liberty - forgiveness, deliverance