Summary: Questions concerning the Holy Spirit.
The Spirit who is not a ghost:
• In the first column rank each person in order of importance to society.
• In the second column rank each person in order of their importance to God.
• One, two, three etc.
• Bank Manager
• We will come back to this diagram in a bit!
• In some Churches the Holy Spirit is never mentioned.
• Ill: Trinity of Father, Son and Holy Bible!
• In other churches he is made the centre of attention.
• Ill: You can be made to feel second class Christian if you don't conform.
• Both extremes in my view are wrong
• As Christians we need a balanced understanding of the Holy Spirit.
(A). Quick overview of the Holy Sprit:
(1). The Holy Spirit is a person.
• Life has been described as the seven ages of man:
• They are ‘Spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills, wills’.
Remember the Holy Spirit is not human!
• But he is a person!
• He is not to be talked about or understood to be just a force or influence?
• As we scan through the Bible;
• We can see at least three proofs that the Holy Spirit a person:
(1). THE HOLY SPIRIT IS REFERRED TO AS A PERSON.
• He is always called a HE and never an IT!
• Quite deliberately Jesus described him to the disciples as a person (“He” & “Him”).
• And Jesus explained in John chapters 14 to 16;
• That he would do things that only a human could do.
• Comfort them.
(2). THE HOLY SPIRIT HAS THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A PERSON.
• He has qualities that a force or an influence can never have.
• I have chosen just twelve examples.
• He has a mind (Romans 8:27),
• He has a will (1 Corinthians 12:11),
• He speaks (Acts 8:29),
• He teaches (John 14:26),
• He convicts (John 16:8),
• He encourages (Acts 9:31),
• He guides (John 16:13),
• He has power (Romans 15:13),
• He creates and gives life (Job 33:4),
• He sanctifies (Romans 15:16),
• He indwells Christians (1 Corinthians 6:19),
• He can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30).
• Can yow show me a force that can be grieved?
• Can you show me as force that can speak?
• Can you show me a force that has a mind and a will of its own!
• Of course not! These are characteristics of a person!
(3). THE HOLY SPIRIT WOULD REPLACE JESUS TO THE DISCIPLES.
• i.e. The Holy Spirit would do for the disciples;
• What Jesus a real person, made of flesh & blood had been doing for them!
• Replace my arm for a metal artificial substitute.
• You could do the same with my leg or even my eyes!
• But you could not replace my brain!
• Because that is the key to my very life source!
In a similar way:
• When Jesus left his disciples on earth;
• They had lost their very source of life (there was no point anymore in carrying on).