Summary: A message examining the condition of the local church.
THE SPIRIT–FILLED CHURCH
INTRO: We have been telling you this week about the need of a church giving it’s all to God. We have told you that many Christians in our churches are asleep and need to be awakened.
Tonight, we want to tell you about the spirit-filled church and how you can recognize if a church is spirit filled.
I. THE FIRST CHURCH WAS SPIRIT-PILLED.
A. The apostles were waiting in the upper room for the spirit.
1. There were 120 in this first, service.
2. They waited about 10 days.
3. They were all with one accord.
B. The spirit descended upon them.
1. They all received. the spirit.
2. Not all of our church members today have the spirit
dwelling in them.
C. The Holy Spirit is a divine person
1. He comes to all who let him.
2. He didn’t pick out certain ones in that first church.
II. WHAT THE BIBL1 TEACHES ABOUT THE SPIRIT.
A. The new test, distinguishes between two spirits.
1. Having the spirit, which is true of all believers.
2. Being filled with the spirit which is the believers
privilege and duty.
3. One baptism, many fillings.
B. The threefold personal relationship with the spirit.
1. With — the approach of God to the soul, convicting of sin,
presenting Christ, imparting faith, regenerating.
2. In — describes the abiding presence of the spirit. To give
victory over the flesh, to create Christian character, to
inspire Prayer, to give access to God. To comfort and
3. Upon — to completely dedicate ourselves to God. To witness,
to serve, to live an example for others to follow.
III. THE RESULTS OF A NON-SPIRITUAL CHURCH.
A. Services dry, draggy, disinteresting.
B. Crowds small, no converts.
C. Members and pastor discouraged.