Summary: The story of the Bible is about God’s passionate pursuit of people. In Exodus, we see three things God gave us to make this a reality: the commandments, the tabernacle, and the offerings.
THE STORY #5: FRIENDSHIP WITH GOD (NEW COVENANT)
INTRO TO TOPIC: Going through the whole Bible in The Story. Review: In the first part of Exodus, God calls Moses to deliver His people from slavery in Egypt, through the Red Sea!
BACKGROUND TO THE STORY: Israel’s Arrival at Mount Sinai
“1 In the third month after the children of Israel had gone out of the land of Egypt, on the same day, they came to the Wilderness of Sinai. 2 For they had departed from Rephidim, had come to the Wilderness of Sinai, and camped in the wilderness. So Israel camped there before the mountain. 3 And Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain, saying, "Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: 4 'You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to Myself. 5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. 6 And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.' These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel.” (Exodus 19:1-6, NKJV).
• God’s greatest desire was to bring the children of Israel to Himself – friendship!
• What does God think about YOU? You are God’s treasure!
• “But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.” (1 Peter 2:9).
QUOTE: (Randy Frazee, The Heart of the Story).
“God’s desire for intimate relationship with us is the heartbeat of the Upper Story: God desperately wants to experience life with us. God tells Moses that three things had to be worked out in order for God to dwell among the Israelites: First, God insisted that his people must live by a set of guidelines… Second, God needed a place to stay (a tabernacle)… Third, God required a way to restore fellowship between a holy God and a sinful people (offerings).”
THE BIG IDEA:
The story of the Bible is about God’s passionate pursuit of people. In Exodus, we see three things God gave us to make this a reality: the commandments, the tabernacle, and the offerings.
1. THE COMMANDMENTS: A set of guidelines to live by
• After God brought His people to the mountain, He descended on the mountain in fire.
• Then God gave Moses the Ten Commandments. How many of you can name all ten?
ILLUSTRATION: I asked the youth on Friday night to list the Ten Commandments:
These are some of the ‘best’ answers they came up with…
• Don’t brutally decapitate your neighbor
• Don’t “borrow” your neighbor’s things
• Don’t be hitting on your neighbor’s wife
• Love your neighbors, love your family
• Love your girlfriend - Read your Bible
• Don’t shoot - Be nice to your neighbor