Summary: This message shows the characteristics of Satan and how to recognize his working and how to combat him successfully.
Scripture: Genesis 3:1 –
Title: “The Subtle Serpent”
Introduction:Recently some of our greatest ministers of the gospel have come under attack because of the stands they have taken for their beliefs.
All this is a result of a “Subtle Serpent” which has been allowed to do his dirty work unchecked.
Satan has maneuvered his way into influential areas so as to change the course of Christianity itself.
Satan has so disguised himself in sheep’s clothing that the average citizen can’t seem to recognize him anymore.
Satan has wrapped himself in the garb of a politically correct philosophy to the point he is unrecognizable to the Biblically uninformed.
It saddens my heart to see men of God mocked and belittled by the powers of our land simply because of taking a stand for the Word of God and trying to help and inform the people of our world.
Before I go into my first thought let us remember the hurricanes that have DESTROYED untold millions of dollars and taken the lives of countless numbers of people in the last months.
Can we attribute all this to chance or luck or do we need to lay the blame squarely where it belongs, to the “Subtle Serpent?”
LET US EXAMINE SOME THINGS AND SEE IF WE CAN DISCOVER THE TRUTH.
There is a way to find out why we are seeing so many things come to pass that is shaking the very foundations of our society.
I. THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SERPENT.
1. SUBTLE – Shrewd, Clever, Cunning, Crafty.
2. Satan is a COMMUNICATOR – The serpent struck up a conversation with Eve. Gen. 3:1
3. Satan is a PEVERTER – Satan began TWISTING what God had said, “Did God really say you must not eat any of the fruit in the garden?”
4. Satan is a CHALLENGER – The serpent began to challenge Eve to RETHINK what God had said.
5. Satan is a LIAR – “You won’t DIE!” – The serpent went directly against what God had said, “God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.” (“But he said, “You won’t die!”)
6. Satan is a TEMPTER – “Your eyes will be open and you will be LIKE God KNOWING everything.” V. 5
7. Satan is CUNNING – The serpent used a VARIETY of techniques here. – DIVIDE & CONQUER, he caught Eve by her self and not walking with God. – He APPEALED to her Human Nature, “Look at the TREE how good it will TASTE, “You will be like God”, “You really won’t need God, you will be your own God.” – The serpent used the TRUTH, but he put HIS SPIN on it.
8. Satan is a MURDERER – When Eve fell PREY to Satan’s suggestions she died Spiritually & Physically. – John 8:44 “He (Satan) was a murderer from the beginning,”
9. Satan is DARING & BOLD – Satan came right into the Garden of Eden. – The Garden of Eden was God’s CREATED PLACE for God & His Children. – Don’t be surprised when he comes into the Church during very Holy moments.
II. THE SERPENT’S ABILITY.
1. Never forget, Satan is a DIVINELY CREATED being.
– Satan is a FALLEN ANGEL. – “How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!” Isa. 14:12
2. Never take Satan LIGHTLY!
3. Satan’s ability is very LIMITED unless he has a BODY or a VESSEL.
4. Satan CHOSE the body of a Serpent. – The serpent POSSESSED Satan’s CHARACTERISITCS.
– The serpent was HANDY. (Available)
5. Satan is a BIG TALKER! – This is one of Satan’s MOST EFFECTIVE abilities.
– He is referred to in Revelation 12:12 “for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.”
6. Satan is a MASTER at Creating DIVISIONS & Driving WEDGES between God’s people.
III. THE SERPENT’S TARGET.
1. Eve & Adam was Satan’s designated TARGET.
– They were the CROWING ACHIEVEMENT of God’s creative process. (Because they looked like God)
2. Just as Satan chose to go through Eve to get to Adam he goes through the Church to get at Christ. – Satan’s plan throughout the Bible shows us he wants to destroy Jesus. – The Church is the greatest REPRESENTIVE of Jesus in the World!
3. Satan always goes after the MOST EFFECTIVE workers of God. – LEADERS – In Government – In the Media – In Christianity.
4. Wherever he can be the MOST EFFECTIVE is where he is going to be working. – We are NO MATCH against Satan without God in our lives!
IV. THE SERPENTS ENEMY.
1. In Gen. 3:15 “From now on, you and the woman will be enemies, and your offspring and her offspring will be enemies. He will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.” NLT – The ONLY Enemy Satan has here on earth is God’s people, Christians!