Summary: The tabernacle series was taught on Wed evening at our church. 2 Cor.5:19 reads, "God was in Christ reconciling the world to him." From the Tabernacle God reached out to sinful man. We should not be surprised to see Jesus in the Tabernacle.
The Tabernacle in the Wilderness
I. WHY STUDY ABOUT A SKIN-COVERED TENT THAT COVERED APPROXIMATELY 3/8 ACRE ANYWAY?
1. It Is A Type. (A type is a divinely purposed illustration of some truth.)
A type may be:
a. A person (Rom. 5:14)
b. An event (I Cor. 10:11)
c. A thing (Heb 10:20)
d. An institution (Heb 9:5-14)
e. A ceremonial (I Cor. 5:7)
• Types are usually found in the Old Testament. The Anti-type or fulfillment of the type is found in the New
• Hebrews 9:9 plainly tells us the tabernacle "was a figure for the time then present" of Christ.
• Jesus said in Jn 5:46,47 " Had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; FOR HE WROTE OF ME …but if ye
believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
• Jesus told the two disciples on the Emmaus road in Luke 24: 25-27, “….
O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
26Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
27And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in
all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
• We can trust the writings of Moses and the words of Jesus about Moses' writings. We can expect to see Jesus
Christ in every curtain, board, covering, veil, and piece of furniture.
2. Its Place In Scripture:
• The Tabernacle occupies a large portion of scripture. (several long chapters in Exodus) (Much of Leviticus) and
many more portions also. (All of the ceremonial rituals in the Pentateuch deal with the Tent in the wilderness
• II Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for Doctrine, for reproof, for
correction, for instruction in righteousness." (we will find all four of these things working as we study the
3. It Helps Us To Better Understand the New Testament
• Without knowledge of the Tabernacle much of Hebrews can’t be understood.
4. God was VERY SPECIFIC in the giving of the plans to Moses to build
• Seven times in Exodus Moses was told "See that thou make it according to pattern shown thee on the mount."
• There can be NO SUBSTITUTE for GODS PLAN OF REDEMPTION FOR SINFUL MAN
5. Its Name
• It was called a TENT
Jn. 1:14 "…was made flesh and dwelt (tabernacled) among us.
(The God of Heaven was willing to "pitch His tent" along side of you and
• The tabernacle gave way eventually to the temple
• Jesus said of the temple in Jn. 2:19 "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up"……This has a lot more
meaning when you understand the tabernacle and its significance
• Jesus, Emmanuel…God with us still…..Amen
6. The Need For God To Reach Out To Sinful Man
• When Israel failed miserably and Moses broke the tablets of stone He did so to keep Israel from being consumed
by God. (as it is 3,000 died)
• Moses went again to the top of the mountain with God another 40 days
• This was a test of God….in fact the number forty in scripture is a period of testing.
• How could God dwell among his people….a rebellious people, how could He Maintain His Holiness, EXECUTE HIS
JUDGMENTS yet spare his people..THE ANSWER IS IN THE TABERNACLE:
• The second tablets of stone were placed in the ark of the covenant…AND COVERED by the BLOOD-sprinkled
• You see dear friends…when GOD LOOKED UPON HIS DEMANDS IN THE LAW….He now looked at them through
the atoning blood.
• Since the tabernacle was the Dwelling place of God where he reached out to sinful man…..then we should not be
surprised to read….GOD WAS IN CHRIST, RECONCILING THE WORLD TO HIM.” (2 Corinthians 5:19)
• God offered Israel the opportunity to be reconciled to him at the MERCY SEAT. God offers you and me today the
same opportunity to be reconciled to him. Through his son Jesus Christ he Tabernacles with us still. Emanuel
God with us. CAN YOU BEGIN TO SEE THE WONDERFUL PICTURE UNFOLD BEFORE US AS WE LOOK AT THE
TABERNACLE IN THE WILDERNESS
7. The Order of the Building
• God started at the Ark of the covenant….in the center of the most Holy Place. God reaches from himself to us …
SALVATION IS OF THE LORD not man. When the veil of the temple was rent how was it rent? (Top To Bottom…
Why)…God himself rent the veil of the temple.
• The walls of Jericho fell outward…..not in-ward ….why? (God did it)
II JUST A FEW FACTS ABOUT THE TABERNACLE for your information
1. Outside of this tent was a badger skin covering….(uncomely)