Summary: The Bible looks like any other book in a bookstore, but it’s not. At Barnes and Noble, it’s thrown in with other books, but it’s nothing like them. The words of this Book are ALIVE! This message looks at the supernatural character of the Bible
THE TALKING BOOK
A. HUMOR: We live in a World of Give and Take
1. A Jewish Rabbi, named Levy, and a Catholic Priest, Father O'Malley, were best of friends for 10 years.
2. One day they were talking at Father O'Malley's house when O'Malley surprised Rabbi Levy by suddenly offering him lunch.
3. "Rabbi, I have made some lovely Ham sandwiches especially for us. How many shall I put on your plate?"
"I'm sorry, Father," replied Rabbi Levy, "but you know we Jews don't eat Pork of any kind. It’s not kosher."
4. "I know, Rabbi," said Father O'Malley, "but I was hoping to persuade you. I won't tell anyone and so no one would know."
5. "Thank you for your kind offer, Father," said Rabbi Levy, "but I really won't be able to accept it." But the Priest persisted, "Oh please Rabbi, please accept my offer."
6. The Rabbi rolled his eyes & finally smiled. "Alright! OK!" said Rabbi Levy, “You win. I'll have a Ham sandwich - but only at your wedding!"
B. THE BIBLE: LIFE-SAVER
1. Cold terror gripped the heart of a soldier as mortar rounds whizzed overhead, rifles cracked, and the Vietcong closed in.
2. Suddenly he felt ripping pains as a bullet tore into his chest and arm. Yet it wasn’t the end for this soldier. According to an article in The New York Times, the bullet was slowed by a New Testament he was carrying in his shirt pocket.
3. Years later the young man still treasured the blood-stained Book with the ragged hole through the middle. He believes it saved his life.
B. TEXT & THESIS: THE WORDS OF THE BIBLE……
1. “When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you” Prov. 6:22.
2. The Bible is God’s gift to mankind, a love letter from our Father!
3. This morning we’re going to look at the supernatural character of the Bible. That it’s a Book that’s alive!
4. The title of this message is “The Talking Book!
I. THE WORD IS ALIVE!
A. NO BOOK EVER SPOKE LIKE THIS BOOK
1. The Bible looks like any other book in a bookstore, but it’s not. At Barnes and Noble, it’s thrown in with other books, but it’s nothing like them.
2. The words of this Book are ALIVE! Heb. 4:12 says, “For the Word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”
3. The word “alive” is in Greek “Zoe,” alive, active, moving, accomplishing. They are living words with spiritual power.
4. The Bible is not the words of a man, a king, or a president, but of God. The voice that speaks to us from the Bible is the voice of God.
5. BIBLE: LIKE A TWO-WAY RADIO!
a. It talks WITH you, not TO you!
b. As questions come to your mind, the Bible answers those questions.
c. The Bible speaks to you – no matter what situation you are in – sin, triumph, despair, etc.
d. It’s because the Holy Spirit brings the Word to you. Jesus said, “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you” John 14:26.