Summary: When parents learn to shoot straight, our children will hit the mark.
THE TARGETED GENERATION
Quiver of Arrows
A Twig (small branch that’s slightly crooked)
READ Psalm 127:3-5 (quickview) , “Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a mighty warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; they will not be ashamed when the speak with their enemies in the gate.”
- What he is saying is this…that children are like arrows and fathers are like archers.
- Dads are to be mighty warriors and children are to be arrows in the hands of the father.
- The implication of this Psalm is that when Dad’s learn to shoot straight, the kids are going to hit the mark
- OBJECT LESSON: (Bow and Arrow) You see, An arrow is no more effective than the warrior who shoots it…the bow is no more effective than the man who holds it in his hand.
I. THE ARCHER – The Strength of the Father Determines the Strength of the Family
- Notice what it says (vs. 4), “as arrows in the hand of a MIGHTY warrior”
- God wants Fathers to be strong on behalf of their families.
- ILLUS: Archery…it is more than casually picking up a bow and arrow
o There must be a good aim
o There must be A full draw
o And there must be a Smooth release
- It takes skill, practice, and determination…that same is true to be a good dad
- My Dad taught me: To be a good man is difficult…to be a good husband is more difficult…to be a good father is the most difficult of all.
- When the arrow misses its target that may happen for several different reasons:
o There may be some bad arrows
o There may be some Moving targets
o Unforeseen wind that blows arrow away from target
- This doesn’t diminish the archers responsibility…it only increases it…that we might still point and aim those arrows.
- My goal in life: Highest ambition…to be a good husband and a good father
- The Archer Must Be Strong! (We’re not talking about physical strength here…we’re talking about SPIRITUAL strength)
- REPEAT AFTER ME: “The Person You Are Is the Person Your Child Will Become.”
- ILLUS: In 1994 the Swiss Government did a study published in 2000 with some interesting information. “It is the religious practice of the father of the family that, above all, determines the future attendance at or the absence from church of the children.”
- There was also another study that found that fathers in the United States spend less time with their children than any other country in the world (Russian fathers spend as much as 2-3 hours with the children but in America, the Father spends an average of 37 seconds with their young children!)
- Parents as a whole spend less than 15 minutes a week in serious discussion with their kids!
Jeremiah 49:1 (quickview) , “Concerning the sons of Ammon. Thus says the LORD: ‘Does Israel have no sons? Or has he no heirs? Why then has Malcam taken possession of Gad and his people settled in its cities?’”