Summary: The preaching of the simple Gospel is the way that God builds His Church
Intro: The Great Commission: Matthew 28:18-20
Stories from mission to India
Roy Knight – indigenous missionary
Since 1999 has started congregations of the Lord’s Church in 54 villages
How has he done it?
By preaching the simple gospel – sharing the Testimony of God.
I. The Testimony of God
A. Man was created in the image of God. God intended to have a special, personal relationship with man. Genesis 1:26
B. Sin destroyed that relationship. Sin separates us from God. Because of sin, mankind became spiritually blind. (Genesis 3; Romans 5:12) Began worshipping idols (Romans 1:18-25). In India, I felt like Paul when he was in Athens (Acts 17:16, 22-23, 29-31). There are many idols in India – Hinduism is the predominant religion – Vishnu, Kali, Shiva & his wife, Ganeesha and other sons of Shiva. Islam and other religions are there. Denominational Christianity is only about 2% of the population, and the Lord’s Church is much less than that. Huge mission field. But, we also have idols in America – even denominational Christianity is losing ground. What progress is the Lord’s Church making? Need for church planting.
C. The Testimony of God – this is the Word of God revealed:
1. In Jesus Christ and Him crucified (v. 2) Jesus Christ is the living Word of God (John 1:1-3 or 5).
2. The Bible is the written word of God (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Everything we need to know about salvation, worship, and godly living is contained in the pages of the Holy Bible.
II. The Glory of the Gospel
A. The Corinthians suffered from sinful pride. They gloried in their strength, their wealth, and their gifts. (Things that make you say, “Hmmmm.”)
B. Paul gloried only in the gospel of Christ.
1. He did not speak eloquently, but simply. His goal was not to entertain, but to teach—to help people understand the gospel of Christ and how to respond and so be saved. (The sermon I preached in India was only about 15 minutes; delivery was about 35 minutes because Roy translated for me).
2. Paul relied on the demonstration of the Spirit through the Word of God to accomplish his ministry.
3. Power of God – as an apostle, Paul sometimes had miraculous signs accompany his preaching (healing, raising Eutychus – Acts 20:9-10) from the dead). Apostolic miracles are not available to us today, however, you’d better believe God can still confirm His Word with signs whenever He chooses. (Story about village where they threatened to kill Roy and his followers, and then were nearly destroyed by a flood – leader of the village said, “I have sinned! You are a God!” -- Like Paul and Barnabas in Acts 14:8-18). These kind of signs, whether apostolic or worked by God today, have one purpose: to magnify God, not the preacher.
III. What is Your Testimony?
A. The facts of the gospel: 1 Corinthians 15:3-
4. Christ died for our sins, was buried, rose again the third day. Simple.
B. Have you responded to the gospel? Do you have the testimony that your sins are forgiven through the blood of Christ?
C. There are only two options: salvation or damnation (Mark 16:16).
Hear: Romans 10:17 – “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.”
Believe: Romans 9:33 “As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and a rock of offense: and whosever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.”
Repent: Romans 2:4 “Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance.”
Confess: Romans 10:9-10 “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”
Obey (Be Baptized!) Romans 6:3-4 “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into his death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.”
If you will do these things, God will . . .
Forgive your sins
Accept you as His child
Grant you eternal life