Summary: THE THREE FOOLS
THE THREE FOOLS
(1) THE MENTAL FOOL Ps 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Here is an intellectual atheist. See how the psalmist describes him ? “ The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God.” a theist is someone who believes in one God, a polytheist is someone who believes in many gods, an atheist is someone who does not believe there is a God. Now the word that the psalmist uses for “ fool,” here does not mean “ weakness of intellect,” rather it denotes“ moral perversity.”
(a) His Conceited Claim : The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
‘ In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.’ ( Gen 1:1 ) To say there is no God is to belie the plainest evidence which is obstinacy, to oppose the common consent of man which is stupidity, and to stifle consciousness which is madness.
1. CREATION proves there is a God:
One night in Egypt, Napoleon , pointed to the stars and said, “ For no other reason than those lights up there I’m convinced there is a God.” Boy puddles of Australia on beach
2. HISTORY proves there is a God:
God is there controlling, guiding, shaping “ all things after the counsel of His own will.” ( Eph 1:11 ) 1 v.1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus: 2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ
3. The LORD JESUS proves there is a God:
" He that hath seen Me hath seen the Father.” ( Jn 14:9 )
(b) His Convenient Creed : I. The Creed of Fools (14:1)
1. The Statement of the Creed (14:1) There is no God
2. The Source of the Creed (14:1) The fool hath said in his heart
II. The Character of Fools (14:2–3)
1. Spiritual Blindness (14:2) The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
2. Moral Bankruptcy (14:3) They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
III. The Condemnation of Fools (14:4–7)
1. They Are Ruthless (14:4) Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread,
2. They Are Godless (14:4) and call not upon the LORD.
3. They Are Soulless (14:6) Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the LORD is his refuge.
4. They Are Hopeless (14: 7) Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the LORD bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
For as someone has said, “ If there is no God then I need no longer bother about obeying His will or keeping His commandments.” In (Ps 14:1) that God traces atheism not to an intellectual root, but to a moral root. Its not that a person cannot believe in God. It is that the sceptic does not want to believe in God. The reason ? He does not want to take responsibility for his sin ! So his godless creed leads to his godless conduct !