Summary: The April 2014 edition of Reader’s Digest contains a story (written by Lia Grainger) about a group of people who suddenly became fabulously rich. It parallels what will happen to us at the resurrection when we enter New Jerusalem!
THE TOWN OF OVERNIGHT MILLIONAIRES
1 Tim. 6:9
1. A crook mistakenly made a counterfeit $8 bill instead of a $10 bill. He decided to try it out anyway. He went to the teller at the local bank and asked for change. The teller looked at the $8 bill and gave the crook two $4 bills as change.
2. My friend has a bad habit of overdrawing her bank account. One day before we went shopping, I complained about my lack of funds and lamented, “Guess I’ll use plastic.” Unconcerned, she whipped out her checkbook: “I’m using rubber.”
3. LATE TO THE GAS STATION
a. Pulling into my service station 45 minutes late one morning, I shouted to the customers, "I’ll turn the pumps on right away!"
b. What I didn’t know was that the night crew had left them on all night. By the time I got to the office, most of the cars had filled up and driven off.
c. Only one customer stayed to pay. My heart sank. Then the customer pulled a wad of cash from his pocket and handed it to me.
d. "We kept passing the money to the last guy," he said. "We figured you’d get here sooner or later." [That restores your faith in humanity!]
“A faithful person will be richly blessed, but one eager to get rich will not go unpunished” Prov. 28:20.
“It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” Mk. 10:25.
“So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?” Luke 16:11.
“Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction” 1 Tim. 6:9.
“You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked” Rev. 3:17.
1. The April 2014 edition of Reader’s Digest contains a story (written by Lia Grainger) I want to touch on tonight. It's about a group of people who suddenly became fabulously rich.
2. The title of tonight's message is, "The Town of Overnight Millionaires."
I. THE COMING OF SUDDEN WEALTH
A. A RECENT OCCURANCE
1. The farming village of Sodeto sits perched atop a dusty outcropping of land in northeastern Spain. It has about 240 residents, who live in identical stone houses and barns. It is a place of poor farmland that was underpopulated.
2. Therefore, in 1950, dictator Francisco Franco offered to give peasants a house, a piece of property and a few farm animals if he/she would take up the trade of farming in the poor areas. It was hard going.
3. For the first four years, only seven families worked the land. Eventually more than 65 families settled in the town. But it was always poor.
4. Then, on December 22, 2011, at 9:57 AM, the entire population of Sodeto became winners of the biggest lottery in the world, El Gordo ("The Fat One").
5. Everyone in Sodeto held a portion of the winning number. The prize money was a combined 720 million Euros.