Summary: The transfiguration of Jesus is important because it shows Christ is outside the realm of time, It reveals His divine nature, shows that the moment of salvation has come, and that Jesus is the looked-for Messiah of the Jews.
THE TRANSFIGURATION OF JESUS
A. HUMOR: Magician Humor
1. A magician introduced an act in which he would disappear. He said to the audience, “On the count of three, I will disappear!” And he started counting in Spanish, “Uno… Dos…POOF!” And the magician was gone without a trace (tres)!
2. FIRST DAY AT SCHOOL
a. It was the first day of class and the teacher asked students about their parent’s occupations. All went normal until she came to Ethan.
b. “Ethan, what does your father do for a living?” “He’s a magician. He performs tricks, like sawing people in half.”
c. Teacher: “Wow! That’s different! Do you have any brothers or sisters?”
d. Ethan: “Yep, four half-sisters and a half-brother.”
2 After six days Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone. There he was transfigured before them. 3 His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them. 4 And there appeared before them Elijah and Moses, who were talking with Jesus. 5 Peter said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.” 6 (He did not know what to say, they were so frightened.) 7 Then a cloud appeared and covered them, and a voice came from the cloud: “This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!” 8 Suddenly, when they looked around, they no longer saw anyone with them except Jesus. 9 As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus gave them orders not to tell anyone what they had seen until the Son of Man had risen from the dead. 10 They kept the matter to themselves, discussing what “rising from the dead” meant.
1. PASSAGE BEGINS: “After 6 days…” Mk. 9:1
a. Peter’s Great Confession (vss. 8:29)
b. Lord’s 1st announcement of Suffering (Mk. 8:31)
c. Disciples devastated (Mt. 16:22; Mk. 8:32)
d. Promise: See Kingdom come with power (9:1).
2. The TRANSFIGURATION of Jesus is important because it:
a. Shows Christ is OUTSIDE THE REALM OF TIME. He is standing with Moses (died 1451 B.C.) and Elijah (ca. 896 B.C.).
b. It clearly shows HIS DIVINE NATURE.
c. Shows the world’s MOMENT OF SALVATION has come.
d. It shows JESUS is the LOOKED-FOR MESSIAH of the Jews.
3. Jesus does not stand in a line of peers with Abraham, Buddha, Confucius, or Mohammed. Jesus Christ is utterly unique. The Transfiguration reveals a turning point in human history.
4. So let’s look at “The Transfiguration of Jesus.”
I. JESUS’ COMPANIONS ON THE MOUNTAIN
A. JESUS’ COMPANIONS: Peter, James, & John
1. Jesus’ inner circle. There were 500 at His resurrection, 70 evangelists sent out, 12 apostles, and 3 in His inner circle.
2. Each had special giftings
3. These three were invited by Jesus to accompany Him on 3 Unique Occasions: Jairus’ daughter’s resurrection; at Jesus’ Transfiguration; and to pray with Jesus at the Garden of Gethsemane, just before His arrest.
B. THE APOSTLES FALL ASLEEP
1. This is one of the three inappropriate times Peter was found to be sleeping when he was supposed to be praying. The other two times are at the Garden of Gethsemane, and when Peter was going to be executed the next morning in Acts 12:6 (when everyone else in the church was up praying all night! 12:12).
2. HUMOR: SOME OF YOU MAY FALL ASLEEP AT INAPPRO-PRIATE TIMES (like during a sermon). HERE’S THE 7 BEST THINGS TO SAY IF YOU GET CAUGHT SLEEPING AT YOUR DESK:
---"They told me at the blood bank this might happen."
---"I was just trying out the 15 minute power-nap they raved about at the time management course you sent me to."
--- "Whew! I guess I left the top off the White-Out. You probably got here just in time!"
--- "I wasn't sleeping! I was meditating on the mission statement and envisioning a new paradigm."
--- "Gee. Why did you interrupt me? I'd almost figured out the solution to our biggest problem!"
--- "Someone must've put decaf in the wrong pot..." and the
number one best thing to say if you get caught sleeping at your desk...
--- "In Jesus name, amen!"
3. IT’S ONE THING TO PHYSICALLY FALL ASLEEP, BUT PAUL WARNED US ABOUT SPIRITUALLY FALLING ASLEEP!
a. Rom. 13:11, “And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.”
b. 1 Thess. 5:6, “Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.”
II. JESUS’ PURPOSE: ON THE MOUNTAIN TO PRAY
A. GOSPEL OF LUKE CALLED “THE GOSPEL OF PRAYER”