Summary: an exposition on Matt ch 24
DURING THE TRIBULATION
The tribulation itself v. 15 - 28
1.The Desecration of the temple
(a) The Sacrifices will be stopped
(b) The Temple will be polluted, and the
(c) Image will be worshipped Revelation 13 v. 8 the beast out of the sea "and all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life". Revelation 13 v. 15 and the beast out of the earth "had power to give life unto the image of the beast and cause that as many as would not worship the image should be killed"
2. The Dispersion of the Jews v. 16 - 20
(a) Who? The Jews in Judaea
(b) Where? to the mountains
(c) When? when they shall see the abomination
(d) Why? v. 21 for then shall be great tribulation
3. The Distress of the elect v. 21 - 27, v. 21 it will be severe - "great tribulation",
v. 22 shortened, v. 27 stopped, How? - by the coming of Christ.
4. The Destruction of antichrist v. 28. Revelation 19 v. 17 & 18 "and I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fouls that fly in the midst of heaven, come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God." v. 18 "that ye may eat the flesh of kings, of captains, of mighty men, of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great."
After the tribulation v. 29 - 31
There will be :-
1. Signs in heaven v. 29 Darkness, Disruption, and Disturbance
2. The Coming of Christ
(a) The timing of it "then"
(b) The terror of it - " shall all the tribes of the earth mourn."
(c) The testimony of it "they shall see"
(d) The triumph of it - "with power and great glory."
3. The Gathering of Israel v. 31 - Isaiah 11 v. 12 "and he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel and gather together the dispersed of Judah, from the four corners of the earth" and
4. The Judgement of the Gentiles Matthew 25 v. 31 - 46
Because of the tribulation and the coming of the king
(a) v. 33 "know it is near" v. 32 - 35 by the parable of the fig tree - it will take place within the space of one generation v. 34
(b) v. 42 watch therefore v. 36 - 42 as in the days of Noah, they were warned, they tarried, and they perished
(c) v. 44 be ready v. 43 & 44 the householder, v. 44 "for in such an hour as ye think not, the son of man cometh"
His coming is certain, soon, sudden, separating.
So be ye also ready