Summary: Education and a Christian-based culture can provide limited freedom but eternal freedom is found only in Christ.
THE TRUE SOURCE OF FREEDOM
"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can you say, 'You will be made free'?" Jesus answered them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.” John 8:32-36 (NKJV)
We will look at two society-based forces that can enable us to be free from many negative factors or traits in our life. We will culminate our thoughts on the only Source that can provide true and eternal freedom that will equip us for life in this world and throughout eternity.
EDUCATION can make you free in many ways:
1. From most superstitions, myths and fables (perhaps all – in some cases) proven false by scientific research and historical data. “For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty.” 2 Peter 1:16
2. From ignorance (lack of knowledge). ”Always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.” 2 Timothy 3:7 (NKJV)
CULTURE (Christian-based) will make you free in many ways:
1. Crudeness (discourteous in behavior) ”Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, [it is clear] what sort of people you should be in holy conduct and godliness.” 2 Peter 3:11 (HCSB)
2. Rudeness (discourteous in speech) “Let your speech always be with grace…” Colossians 4:6
3. Nudeness (discourteous in dress…or the lack thereof). Example: Gadarene demoniac (Luke 8:26-39, especially v. 27 and v. 35)
CHRIST, the embodiment of the highest plane of freedom. (Text)
1. From sin and death. ”For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.” Romans 8:2 (NKJV)
2. From the “yoke of bondage”. ”Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.” Galatians 5:1 (NKJV)