Summary: This message reminds us that while the season of Christmas is about a lot of exciting traditions, we must be careful not to cover up the season!
1. The Bible is Always Alive
- Regardless of when you read something, it can be applied to your life today.
- Regardless of how often you read it, you will receiving something new from it.
2. That’s How God Is!
- The best selling book is still the best selling book
- It will continue to be that way!
3. Our Text is Jeremiah 10:1-5
- Jeremiah was used by God to warn the Jews of the coming captivity that would move them to a country known as Chaldea
- Chaldea was a very Idolatrous Country greatly addicted to Astrology and Idols (which was their use of the tree).
4. Traditions Sometimes Cause Confusion
- Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, Thanksgiving and other Holidays
- The use of the Christmas Tree and it’s decorations here at Christmas time – from this text have made some question decorations.
What is First Read Isn’t Always What It Appears
- It sounds like a Christmas Tree in our text!
(‘cut a tree out of the forest’… ‘decorate it with silver and gold’)
A. I Remember My Family’s Tradition of Christmas
- Go to the woods and cut the tree – put in base
- Dad would add the lights – We would add the popcorn and silver and gold tinsel
- Graduated to Ice Cycles – we thought we were big!
- Then we were really big when we add the blinking lights!!
- A Great Family Tradition
B. The Hanging of the Greens
(which we will have some day) when the church is decorated through a special Christmas Service each year.
This morning, as we enter a new season, I wanted to discuss with you the truth about some of the traditions that occur on and around Christmastime, so I’ve entitled this message – “THE TRUTH ABOUT TRADITIONS”.
So let’s begin with the truth about…
I. THE CHRISTMAS TREE
I’m not going into the history of the Christmas Tree. It’s a tradition that dates back for centuries. AND IF I thought it was wrong to have a Christmas Tree in your house, I certainly would not have one in our church.
The TRUTH about the CHRISTMAS TREE is that it reminds us about another tree. It was on a Tree that God hung His greatest gift to humankind.
- The Christmas tree is symbolic of a broken curse,
- its evergreen branches representing everlasting life.
READ 1 PETER 2:24 (NIV)
Jesus Christ gave His life on a tree known as the cross for you and me.
A. THE LIGHTS ON OUR CHRISTMAS TREE
We place lights all around our Christmas Tree.
Lights that remind us of the “Light of the world”.
1. John 8:12 (NIV)
12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
YOU and I are not the light, but those that have said YES to Jesus possess the light and are to allow His light to shine through us – a REFLECTION OF THE LIGHT FROM THE SON!
2. Matthew 5:14-16 (NIV)
14 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.
15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.