Summary: Until we can face the truth of our sins and what we need to repent of, God will continue to work on us to get our attention. Therefore, if God has to use fire and death and witnesses ... then so be it!
The Two Witnesses, Part 2
Revelation, Part 14, Revelation 11:3-10
Introduction Mark place at Zechariah 4
- Wednesday we set the stage for the 11th Chapter of Revelation
-- Defined who these witnesses are: Elijah and Moses or Elijah and Enoch
-- They will come with one mission – to preach the Gospel
-- They have a never-ending passion for sharing Jesus
- Today we continue in Chapter 11
-- Begin to examine these witnesses specific ministry
-- Why we, as believers today, ought to consider them spiritual heroes
- Before we get into today’s passage, let’s be reminded of something:
-- Let’s remember what an angel has told the disciples before:
Ω -- Acts 1:11, “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”
- These angels hit the disciples’ mission right on the head
-- It is times like this that as the church we need to get busy …
-- We must STOP acting like we do not know what is going on in this world
- This same Jesus is returning & I do not want someone else to speak for me
-- I want to tell others about Jesus Christ … and as a Son of the True of God
-- The Living God that is my ONLY responsibility to this world
- It is your responsibility also, and let me tell you: There is none greater!
- Let’s see how these two Men of God carry out their duties.
- Read Revelation 11:3-10
Ω Point 1 – The Two Witnesses (v4-6)
- The two olive trees reflect back on Zechariah 4:1-14 (read)
-- These 2 trees are described as two people who stand beside the Lord
-- These 2 are obviously very special to the Lord, and to witnessing for Him
- Their mission here in Revelation is to witness to the testimony of Jesus
-- They have come for one reason: to preach Jesus and Him crucified
- Note the power & authority that these two witnesses have:
-- These men will have the same protection from the Father that was granted unto Moses when he stood before Pharaoh
-- Surely, Pharaoh could have struck them down and had Moses killed for his demands, but he was spared
- It is no accident that Moses was originally raised by Pharaoh’s wife
-- APP: God placed him there to be a step-brother to the man who would eventually become Pharaoh – and we need to see that
-- IMP: This same protection that Moses had will be the same super-natural protection that the witnesses have
- 2 Kings 1:10-12 says, “Elijah answered the captain, "If I am a man of God, may fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty men!" Then fire fell from heaven and consumed the captain and his men. At this the king sent to Elijah another captain with his fifty men. The captain said to him, "Man of God, this is what the king says, 'Come down at once!' "If I am a man of God," Elijah replied, "may fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty men!" Then the fire of God fell from heaven and consumed him and his fifty men.”
- IMP: God gives you a power and authority – and if you use it, you shall ALWAYS have it! It is when it is not used that God removes it
-- Reference the Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25
-- APP: If we do not continue to work for the Lord, He will remove His gifts to us and we will become as lazy as the world
- Perhaps some are in that same rut today and have no idea how to get out?
-- Perhaps some just are not ready to admit that they are even in a rut?
-- I assure you, if you are not working for God, you are disobeying Him
-- IMP: Worse than disobeying God, is choosing to do so willingly!
- The first step to a right relationship with God is to be willing to change
-- Must admit that you need to change – and then to follow as He directs!
- The judgments that these men bring about on the Earth are cataclysmic
-- These men have the power to bring them whenever they want
-- This is a gift from God – but they are meant to get our attention
-- APP: They are meant to show us God’s sovereignty, not our own
- IMP: These men will NOT be favored among the Earth
-- They will be constant targets of those bent on destroying Jesus Christ