Summary: This message is a contrast between two yokes. The yoke of sin, and the yoke of Jesus Christ
THE TWO YOKES
INTRO: We are more impressed by the comparison of two things using contrast than we are examining them by themselves. For example, the value of light is more evident when contrasted to darkness. Health when contrasted to sickness, and pleasure when contrasted to pain.
Today, we want to contrast the two yokes. The yoke of sin, and the yoke of Jesus Christ.
I. IN THEIR INFLUENCE ON THE BODY.
A. The yoke of sin leads to habits which injure the health,
destroy the will or judgment, and shorten life (Deut. 28:48).
1. Visit the hospitals. Not all are sick from sin. But it is a
sin not to take care of our bodies.
2. Look at the special sins that shorten the lives of those
involved. Drinking, smoking, drugs, etc.
3. Look at those who have become a slave to sin.
B. Christ’s yoke leads to health and long life.
1. Religion saves us from the habits that shorten our lives (true
2. The man who values his soul, will not defile the temple of God.
That is putting Jesus through your evil deeds.
3. Proverbs 10:27.
II. IN THEIR INFLUENCE ON REPUTATION.
A. Men respect: Truth, integrity, honesty, faithfulness.
1. The yoke of sin leads to habits which lower the reputation.
a. Profanity of speech.
b. Evil companionship.
2. Do not all of these lower and degrade?
B. Look at those who bear the yoke of Christ.
1. Purity of conversation.
2. Good company.
3. Honesty, sobriety.
III. ON MAN’S TRUE PEACE AND HAPPINESS.
A. The yoke of sin is heavy and demanding.
1. The yoke is often too intolerable to be borne.
2. The life of a lost man is one of misery.
B. Christ’s yoke is easy and light.
1. It is united with confidence and hope.
2. There is calm and the sunshine of heaven within the man wear
ing this yoke.
3. Two wear this yoke - Christ and you.
ILLUS: As a carpenter, Jesus made yokes and knew how an ill-fitting yoke
made the oxen’s neck sore. He would custom fit the yoke to each ox.
IV. IN THEIR CONNECTION WITH THE FUTURE WORLD.
A. The yoke of sin is connected with darkness, and the chains of
the second death.
B. The yoke of Jesus is connected with the light, and his path
leads to eternity in heaven.