Summary: NO FEAR WHEN YOU DWELL IN THE SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY
NO FEAR WHEN YOU DWELL IN THE SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY
cf. theme of "NO FEAR" promoted on athletic apparel, TV commercials, etc.
cf. concept of product warranties and guarantees
How close are you living to God?
I. (:1-4) LIVING CLOSE TO GOD GUARANTEES PROTECTION FROM ATTACK
A. Description of Living Close to God (:1-2)
what does it involve?
1. Staying at Home in the Presence of the Almighty God (:1)
a. "dwells" / "abides"
b. "shelter" / "shadow"
c. "the Most High" / "the Almighty"
2. Trusting in the Protection that only God can Provide (:2)
"my refuge" / "my fortress"
B. Danger of Attack (:3)
1. From "the snare of the trapper"
2. From "deadly pestilence"
C. Dynamics of God’s Protection 9:4)
1. God’s Providential Care
"He will cover you with His pinions"
2. Man’s Responsibility = Seek God’s Protection
"under His wings you may seek refuge"
3. God’s Guarantee
"His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark "
II. (:5-10) LIVING CLOSE TO GOD GUARANTEES NO FEAR OF DESTRUCTION
A. Not Afraid of Anything: (:5-6, 10)
"terror by night "
"arrow that flies by day"."pestilence that stalks in darkness"
"destruction that lays waste at noon"
"No evil will befall you"
"Nor will any plague come near your tent"
B. No Matter What might Happen to Others (:7-8)
Distinction between the righteous and the wicked
Look at all the destruction all around you and yet you are still spared
C. Because You are Living Close to God (:9)
you have made God / the Most High:
your dwelling place
III. (:11-13) LIVING CLOSE TO GOD GUARANTEES THE MINISTRY OF GUARDIAN ANGELS
A. Guardian Angels keep you Insulated from Attack
"they will bear you up in their hands"
"lest you strike your foot against a stone"
B. Guardian Angels make you Invincible over your Attackers
"You will tread upon the lion and cobra"
"the young lion and the serpent you will trample down"
IV. (:14-16) LIVING CLOSE TO GOD GUARANTEES DELIVERANCE THAT LASTS
A. Two Essentials for Living Close to God
1. Loving God
2. Knowing God ("known my name")
B. Nature of Deliverance
"set him securely on high"
C. Blessings of Deliverance that Last
1. God’s Answered Prayer
2. God’s Presence in time of Trouble
3. God’s Continued Favor ("I will honor him ")
4. God’s Promise of Abundant Life ("with a long life I will satisfy him ")
* * * * * * * * * *
1) In questioning one’s faith, people often take comfort and assurance in the fact that their desperate needs were met in Christ, as verification of their salvation. Where do Christians look for assurance when they have no such past and nothing of consequence to
2) As Christians, we are not to fear any danger or disaster. Does this mean we will not experience these hardships?
3) How can you make God Most High your place of safety and refuge? Do angels still play an active part in securing that place for you?
4) As part of a maturing Christian walk, can God’s promises be accessed in more than one way?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)