Summary: God’s church is strengthened by everyday people who use their hands, their presence, and their faithfulness to serve others.
• Illustration: On June 1, 1967, the Beatles had another hit on the radio entitled, “With a little help from my friends.” The chorus had
these three lines: “I get by with a little help from my friends. I get high….. I’m going to try with a little help from my friends.” In
1990 Garth Brooks took it a little bit lower when he declared that he had friends in “low places.” Whether a person is lost or saved,
the value of friendship cannot be underestimated.
• In Colossians 4:7-18, we come to the closing of this precious letter from Paul to the church at Colosse. It is not uncommon for
Paul to use the last part of his letters to pat others on their back for their service to God and to him. Even though Christ is all you
need period, there is no way you can do the work of the Lord alone!
Proposition: God’s church is strengthened by everyday people who use their hands, their presence, and their faithfulness to serve
III. Christ is All You Need to Live For.
F. The Value of Great Friendships.
1. Friends Who Helped Through Their Service. (names sound boring until you look into their history.
a. Tychicus: (7-8) This was Paul’s trusted assistant, his right hand man who was responsible for connecting the
people with Paul.
• Beloved, faithful, servant, comforter.
b. Onesimus: (9) this was a run-away slave who Paul led to Christ, who now is an assistant in training. He needed a
friend at his lowest point, and Paul showed grace and not justice. As a result, Onesimus is serving God.
c. Epaphras: (12) He may have been the founding pastor of the church at Colosse, who now is with Paul, possibly
using his opportunity to learn from Paul…yet who serves Paul and God as a powerful prayer warrior.
• Prayed constant, fervently, personally, and specifically.
d. Nymphas: (15b) Some translations make this name male or female. No one knows for sure who this person is, but
it is clear, they have opened up their house to be a meeting place for God’s people.
e. Application: Ill: (George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Betsy Ross, Paul Revere, Nathan
Hale) Unsung heroes in Revolutionary War: Nancy Hart (woman) & James Armistead (black slave).
• It takes all parts (body) to make the church a working testimony.
i. The church cannot be the church Jesus wants without the unity and cooperation of people, working
together with the single purpose of glorifying God.
2. Friends Who Helped With Their Presence. (Friends who are near!)
a. Aristarchus: (10a) When you examine this man closely, you find that he appears with Paul when Paul is going
through his toughest moments. This guy is not a fair weather friend, but is faithful no matter what comes.
• In prison with Paul, verse 10
• In riots in Ephesus, Acts 19:29
• In shipwreck, Acts 27:2
b. John Mark: (10b) This would be a surprise, restored friendship. At one time Mark quit and left Paul. But in time,
this relationship is mended, and Mark is a valuable asset to Paul (2 Tim. 4:11)