Summary: If we hear the word sin, we think of sins plural. We think of our lists. What is on the sin list? Which list? Whose list?
LSD (Lysergic acid diethylamide)
- Produces delusions of grandeur.
- It gives a feeling of exaltation.
- You can take a trip into a make-believe land
- Students used LSD to expand their outlook on life
- Thinking you can jump from a building and fly
- Having an overpowering sense of omnipotence.
- Walking in front of a fast-approaching car
- Raise your hands believing you can stop the car
- They are wrong. They’re dead.
- There is also a spiritual LSD
- It’s effect is the same
- It gives people the delusion that we are good
- God will except him
- Weighing his goodness vrs. his sinfulness
- I am not that bad of a sinner
Romans 3:23 - “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”
- If we hear the word sin, we think of sins plural.
- We think of our lists.
- What is on the sin list?
- Which list?
- Whose list?
The Sin Lists
■ The Catholics 7 deadly Sins
Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, Pride
■ Then the venial (forgiveable) sins
• It does not concern a "grave matter",
• It is not committed with full knowledge, or
• It is not committed with both deliberate and with consent
• Each venial sin that one commits adds to the penance that one must do.
• Penance left undone during life converts to punishment in purgatory
■ The Decalogue/The Law/The 10 Commandments
■ Rules for games, Abilities, Driving, Admittance, Swimming ect.
■ My List/Your List
What is Sin?
1. Sin is rebellion against God. Joshua 1:18 (AV)
18 Whosoever he be that doth rebel against thy commandment, and will not hearken unto thy words in all that thou commandest him, he shall be put to death: only be strong and of a good courage.
2. Sin is not submitting to the will of God.
3. Sin is a hopelessly incurable disease of the soul.
5. Sin is the opposite of holiness, of God
6. Ro. 14:23 …. "Whatever does not proceed from faith is sin."
If something is a sin, it remains sin.
Often we have made sins out of things that are neutral because of what can be done with it or its association.
Back to Rom 3:23
- Not only did all sin, but also all fall short.
- This single Greek verb is in the present tense
- It stresses continuing action.
- It can be translated “keep on falling short.”
and come short of the glory—or “praise”
Romans 3:23 (The Message)
23 Since we’ve compiled this long and sorry record as sinners (both us and them) and proved that we are utterly incapable of living the glorious lives God wills for us,
■ Our excuse for sin
• A weak moment
• Not feeling well
• It’s not really sin
■ We blame someone else
- Friends, Job, Family
- God is not responsible for our temptation
James 1:13 (AV)
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
■ We Blame the devil
- Flip Wilson in the 70’s as Geraldine Jones
“The Devil Made Me Do It”
- He is called the tempter but does not make us sin
Matthew 4:3 (AV)
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
Colossians 3:1–2 (AV)
1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
Why Do We Sin?
- WE SIN BECAUSE WE HAVE A TENDENCY TO…
1. Underestimate The Allure Of Sin
- It gives temporary pleasure
Hebrews 11:24–25 (AV)
24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter;
25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
2. We sin to avoid difficulties and solve problems:
- David with Bathsheba & Uriah (2 Samuel 11:1-15).
- Peter lied about Jesus at Jesus trial (Matthew 26:69-75)
3. We choose to sin because we do not exercise self-control
James 1:14–15 (AV)
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
4 We sin because we do not believe
Revelation 21:8 (AV)
8 But the fearful (cowards), and unbelieving, and the abominable (vile, polluted, evil doers), and murderers, and whoremongers (immoral), and sorcerers (occult), and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.