Summary: God has called us all to reach destiny, but it takes some effort on our part.
THE VERGE OF VICTORY
Olympic runner, Bernard Lagat… Favored to win 500 and 1500 meter race and didn’t place in either race… He was on the verge of victory, but failed to reach it…
Verge: The edge, brink, or transitional state
Many of us are headed towards destiny, but oftentimes, we fail to make it… You are on the verge of your greatest victory, but it’s still going to take some effort to get there… If you’re going to make it, you must first…
I. FORGET ABOUT YOUR WEIGHT (v 1)
- Why…? Because of (see Heb 11:30-39)
- “Therefore…” (Because of 11:30-39)
- “Witnesses…” They’ve all been there, and done that… And they serve
as witnesses to the fact that we can make it… They did not let their
situations define them.
II. FOCUS ON THE WINNER (v 2)
- Jesus is the author (originator) and finisher (perfection) of our
faith…. (Also use Amplified Bible for illustration and example)
- He ran the race with joy…
- You ought to have joy on your journey to victory… Why…? (Rom 5:3-5…)
III. FINSH… BUT FINISH WELL (v 3)
- It’s easy to finish (just keep going…)
- But Jesus expects us to win (because He did)
- “Consider…” Think about what He went through
- Because He made it, you can too…!
- “More than a conqueror…” Rom 8:37
- “He’s able to do exceedingly…” Eph 3:20
- “He who began a good work…” Phil 3:6
(Tell neighbor…) Because I’m on the Verge of Victory, I’m going to run on… To see what the end will be… Because if I keep on running, I will receive a crown…!