Summary: The introduction of John the Baptist
The Voice of One Crying in the Wilderness - John 1:6-8, 15-28
Intro. The John of our Gospel of study is not John the Baptist, but John the Apostle.
I. The Clarification of His Person - John 1:6-8, 15-28
A. He was the Forerunner - Isa 40:3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
Mal 3:1 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.
Mal. 3 - church, Must note, Elijah will still come before final judgment of Mal. 4
John is the fulfillment of the forefunner, with the spirit of Elijah.
In vs. 19-28, John is questioned. Messiah, Elijah or another prophet coming back from the dead? People today still argue over John the Baptist
A great prophet (OT or NT?) Matthew 11:10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee. (Transitional prophet) He was the forerunner!
B. He was Faithful
1. He had a Godly Heritage - Luke 1:5-14
He had some to follow! Let's live in a way that others can trust us.
- His Parents were Holy - Luke 1: 5-6 Ro 3:22-24 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
- They were Faithful - vs. 8-9
2. He lived with Godly Character - Luke 1:15-17
- His Separation (Nazarite from the womb, like Samson) - vs. 15
- Personal Separation (wine and strong drink)
- Spiritual Separation - God prophesied of John's life.
This does not mean that He was saved before he was born, but God said that he would be "filled" or "bathed in, influenced or affected." By the prophecy of the angel, Zacharias and Elizabeth knew that their Son would be holy before God!
(John has been born and this is Zacharias speaking)
A. His Father's Prophecy- Luke 1:17b, 76
1. John would see Lives changed for the Coming of the Messiah - vs. 17b
He could not save them, but he was a Voice of one crying in the wilderness
2. He would Knowledge to those who did not know - vs. 76
2Co 4:5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. 6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
B. His Fervent Preaching - He proclaimed a Godly Message - John 1:15-18
1. The Preeminence of Christ - vs. 15
2. The Provision of Christ - Grace and Truth - vs. 16-17
3. The Proclamation of Christ - vs. 18
"He hath declared him" Christ, and only Christ can do so!