Summary: God’s unfolding strategy for defeating Satan.
THE WAR OF THE WORLDS
1. Today, we are going to examine the longest, bloodiest, most interesting war in the history of planet earth and how it affects us.
a) We will be reminded that Jesus is the Savior of the world promised from Genesis to Revelation.
b) We will learn just how much we matter to God and how much God has invested in our salvation.
2. These are aggressive goals.
a) And, we have approximately 25 minutes in which to accomplish them!
b) I think we need to begin in prayer…
3. Ephesians 6:12 says, For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12 New Living Translation (NLT)
a) Three buddies died in a car crash. When they went to heaven they are asked, "When you are in your casket and friends and family are around you, what would you like to hear them say about you?” The first guy said, "I would like to hear them say that I was a great doctor and a great family man." The second guy said, "I would like to hear that I was a wonderful husband and school teacher and I made a huge difference in our children of tomorrow." The last guy replied, "I would like to hear them say, "Look! He’s moving!"
b) A Marine Recruiter died and went to heaven. At the Pearly Gates, St. Peter told the recruiter that he would spend one day in heaven and one day in hell and then he could decide where he wants to spend eternity. Day one: Heaven. Clouds, harps, angels. It was nice, a little dull for his tastes though. Day two: Hell. The recruiter is greeted enthusiastically by dear-departed former recruiters who are dressed to the nines. The weather is pleasant, sunny and warm—but not too warm. The recruiters play a round of golf. They eat fabulous food. They go dancing. They meet devils who seem kind of nice. It is nothing like he imagined. The recruiter returned to the Pearly Gates. Peter asked where he wanted to spend eternity. The recruiter chose hell. When he returned to hell, his colleagues are now dressed in rags and picking up garbage. The place is blazing hot. The recruiter is stunned and asks a devil, “I don’t understand. This place is nothing like it was yesterday.” The devil answered, “Yesterday, we were recruiting you. Today you are staff.”
c) A young woman came home and told her mom that her boyfriend had proposed, but she had turned him down because she found out he was an atheist. He didn’t believe in Heaven or Hell. "Marry him anyway, honey. Between the two of us, we’ll show him just how wrong he is."
4. The Bible says mankind is locked in a battle between good and evil.
a) The Bible also says there is a literal heaven and hell, angels and demons, God and Satan.
b) Mankind instinctively knows and believes in God and the forces of evil.
c) There is too much evidence to be otherwise.
5. The Bible shows us that God waged war against Satan to crucify His Son Jesus.