Summary: A sermon (also suitable for Seekers) covering 1) The source of evil 2) Sorting out evil 3)Separating evil from good (people)
The Wheat and the weeds Mt13:24-30, 36-43 WBC 10/3/2 am SKR
Love these parables! So much in them… this one!
The Source of evil- (where does it come from?)
The age old question: why is there evil? Suffering? Why does God allow it?
- well, the Bible offers SOME answers. Some things it states clearly. Some not so clearly. Many briefly. And the Bible’s whole thought is summarised, here!”
“While everyone was sleeping”
- it’s not inferring God - was napping on the job
- failed in some way
- someone pulled a fast one on Him… caught Him on the hop… and introduced evil & suffering
It is perfectly normal to tend crops during the day and sleep at night.
- no negligence implied
It’s there to make a point. The point being
- God did not send evil… want evil
the source is ELSEWHERE
- “an enemy did this”
= consistent with Bible
- = what the snake symbolises in gen 3
- someone/thing external to God
- note: you don’t know from reading Gen 3 that it’s something called ‘Satan’. We only know that because of the fuller picture
- so THIS is just like Gen 3: someone else. An enemy
The point made here, as elsewhere in the Bible is:
- God’s not the source of it…sender of evil
- An enemy did this. We call him Satan
The argument for God and suffering/evil is called “theodicy”
- and this encapsulates the theodicy of the whole Bible! One line!
- Not really told much more! Not told ‘why’
- For many of us, who like the helpers are preoccupied with the issue of suffering such an answer seems woefully inadequate and short
- But I sense this issue is far bigger than we ever could imagine (like the universe is!)- and God has His reasons for not explaining more. Maybe we
- Couldn’t understand?
- Not supposed to understand?
But we’re told in no uncertain terms
- it’s not God!
- God is good. Love. Not the source of evil
- Not to be charged with evil
- JOB 1:22 “In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with evil.”
- it’s from elsewhere
never doubt this! (you are good, you are good and your love endures)
Sorting out evil- (why doesn’t God do something?!)
= the big issue for us
is/was for these farmers
- seems logical that the farmer should do something
- “do you want us to pull them up?”
- come on! Let’s sort it out, now! Let’s do something about it
Makes agricultural sense!
- otherwise end up with a field of weeds
- worse still- if the weed is Darnel (suspect it is- as that looks like wheat until the ears form. Related to wheat)- the issue’s worse as you end up with poisonous bread- Darnel is toxic!
So the very fact that nothing is done seems even more ludicrous! Stands out
- and so it should. Jesus is flouting agronomic sense to make a theological point:
for some very important reason… that we can only catch glimpses of.. God chooses not to sort this out NOW.
- here are some of the glimpses:
1 none of us would stand a chance!
Because the wheat and the weeds are almost indistinguishable
- it’s not as simple as ‘they’re bad, I’m good’
- wheat and weeds look alike
- WE are a mixture of wheat and weeds
- "The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor classes, nor between political parties... but right through every human heart and through all human hearts" Alexander Solzhenitsyn