Summary: The Passover Lamb
The Whole Thing
The Bernstein’s vs. The Schwarz
God told Israel to EAT all of the Lamb. The entire thing. The WHOLE thing.
I’d like to draw some resemblances from this Passover lamb to the Lord Jesus.
The lamb typifies Christ in these ways:
1. “A male of the 1st year” is in it’s prime of life. Christ offered himself in the midst of his days. Ever wonder why Christ didn’t offer himself when he was 23 instead of 33? A priest was to start his ministry at the age of 30 and the highlight of his ministry was around 33 years old. Not only was Christ the sacrifice but Christ offered the sacrifice as the High priest.
2. It was without Blemish, noting the purity of the Lord Jesus, a lamb without spot.
3. It was set apart for 4 days.
4. It was Slain and roasted with fire; noting the exquisite sufferings of our Lord.
5. It was killed by the whole congregation between 2 evenings. 3 and 6 o’clock.
6. Not a bone was broken. This was fulfilled in John 19:33-36.
So, then Israel was to prepare this food and eat it in HASTE or on their way out! As we are to partake of Christ as the day approaches for His return.
PLEASE DON’T MISS THIS!! The Blood HAD to be APPLIED before the lamb was cooked and eaten. Did you catch that? Before you can accept His teachings, His goodness, His spirit the blood must be shed!
So here we are now, after the sacrifice and after the application of the blood, Moses tells the children of Israel to cook and eat ALL of the lamb. Therefore, as this lamb typifies Christ, let’s look at three things we are to consume of Christ, our Passover.
1. EAT ALL OF WHO HE IS
A. Saviour – John 14:6
Matthew 3:17 “And lo a voice from heaven saying, This is my beloved Son in whom I am well please.”
Revelation 1:17-18 “And when I saw him I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for ever more. Amen; and have the keys of hell and death.”
Application: Who is HE to you? Have you swallowed the fact that not only has he died for you but He lives for you too?
2. EAT ALL HE SAYS
A. He says “come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laiden, and I will give you rest: Matt 11:28
B. He says “your sins and your iniquities will I remember no more”!
C. He says “I am the way, the truth, and the life”
Application: Do you believe what He’s said? Have you Heard what He’s said. Eat it! Consume it! Devour every word of it
3. EAT ALL HE COMMANDS
“Isn’t what he commands the same as what He says?” Not exactly. I know more people that believe what he says and swallows his words really well but when it comes to Jesus commanding us as Christians, some just never swallow that pill or they regurgitate it with a lack of commitment to the Lord.
A. He commands “Love your enemies….”
B. He commands “Forgive one another…”