Summary: Looking honestly at the woman at the well and how each of us fits into her patterns.
THE WOMAN AT THE WELL...
SCRIPTURE: JOHN 4:1-42...
* This is a story that is very familiar to most.
* Songs have been written about it - sermons preached
* This was not a chance encounter - v. 1 says
that “Jesus must needs go through Samaria”.
* A Jew would not normally take such a route because
of the feelings about the “half breed” Samaritans.
* Yet this woman is like many today.
I. SHE WAS BANKRUPT SPIRITUALLY... vv. 15-18
A. SOCIALLY OUTCAST:
* She came to the well at noon - alone, which is not how it is done.
* She was shunned because of her lifestyle.
B. A WOMAN WITH A PAST:
* She had been divorced five times [not the
* Now she was living with a man outside of marriage.
C. SHE WAS SEEKING FOR SOMETHING THAT WAS MISSING
IN HER LIFE: v. 15
* NOTE: she asked for the water.
* WHY? There was something missing.
II. SHE WAS BULL-HEADED RELIGIOUSLY... vv. 19-25
A. SHE KNEW ABOUT CHURCH:
* NOTE: we have our own idea about worship.
* “It doesn’t matter if it is Biblical, as long as it
B. SHE KNEW ABOUT PROPHECY:
* She knew enough about religion and the Bible to be
* People today know the Bible but not the Author of it.
C. SHE KNEW ABOUT RELIGION BUT NOT A RELATIONSHIP:
* She knew about worship, but not relationship.
* She knew about church, but not the Christ.
III. SHE BELEIVED SUCCESSFULLY... vv. 26-30
A. HER TESTIMONY VERIFIES IT: v. 28-29
* She gave her testimony.
B. THE BIBLE VERIFIES IT: v. 39