Summary: When I studied this subject I realised that the Name of Jesus is vital to the Christian walk. When we look at "The Wonderful Name of Jesus", we’re seeing, not only His name but, His very being, His Character and His attributes, His Power, His reason for e
The Wonderful Name of Jesus
When I studied this subject I realised that the Name of Jesus is vital to the Christian walk. When we look at "The Wonderful Name of Jesus", we’re seeing, not only His name but, His very being, His Character and His attributes, His Power, His reason for existence. Every name in the bible is with meaning and reveals to us a lot about the person that bears it.
Names are obtained through three means: 1. Birth. 2. Inheritance 3. Achievement
Jesus obtained His name through these means: by birth – Lk1:31, Is9:6, by inheritance – Heb1:4 and by achievement – Phil2:9-11
Names are given for three main reasons: 1. Identification 2. Office 3. Description
1. Identification: A Name in Bible times is given to identify a person. Jesus name uniquely identify Him. He was given a name that is above every other name – Acts4:12, Phil2:9-11, .
2. Office: When a person is appointed to a position or an office, He is given a name to signify that position or office – Lk1:31-33.
3. Description: Names not only identify a person but also tell us of their character as well – Is9:6.
Jesus name reveal three main things about Him to us:
1. His presence – Mat18:20 Jesus guaranteed us his presence whenever we gather in his name.
2. His authority – Mat28:18-19, Phil2:9-11. The authority and power that a name carries depends on the bearer.
3. His achievement – Jesus is the saviour Acts 4:12, He is the Christ Mat16:13-16, Rom1:3-4
Expressing what the name Jesus means to me would not be the same without first, studying the origin of the Name. The prophetic book of Isaiah tells us that the ‘Messiah’ shall come and that he shall be wounded for our transgressions, bruised for our iniquities and that the chastisement of our peace will be upon on him and only, only by his stripes, will we be healed.
Jesus gave the believer the right to use his name – Jn14:13, 15:16, 16:23-24,26. The unbeliever has no right to the name of Jesus – Acts19:13-16. The sons of Sceva used the name of Jesus when they are not believers and therefore faced the consequence of their action.
In what area of life can we use the name of Jesus?
Jesus name can be used in :
1. Salvation – Mat1:21, Acts4:12, 10:42-43.
2. Prayer – Jn14:13-14, 16:23-24
3. Preaching – Acts4:17-18, 5:28, 9:29.
4. Instruction of command – 2Thess3:6
5. Healing and miracles – Acts3:6, 16, 4:10
6. Deliverance – Acts16:18, 19:13-17, Lk10:1, 17
7. Baptism – Acts2:37-38, 8:16, 10:48
8. Suffer persecution – Acts5:41-42, 9:14-16, 15:25-26
9. Justified, Washed and Sanctified – 1Cor6:11
10. Thanksgiving – Eph5:20, Col3:17
11. Unity – 1Cor1:10, 5:4
12. Reward – Heb6:10
13. Doing all – Col3:17, Acts26:8-10
- By the authority of this Wonderful Name we get breakthrough for ourselves and for others.
- We do it because ’This Name’ has authority and we can share in it!
- We cannot afford to fear but to live in Faith. For fear is the opposite of Faith. Faith in the word and the Name of Jesus is the key.
Earlier we looked at the account of His birth in Matt 1:21 - "She (Mary) will give birth to a son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins". Then, this means that Salvation only comes through this Name. This is the greatest thing about Jesus that we can be saved and be delivered from a life of sin, bondage, and eternal separation from God.
What are the attributes of the name of Jesus?
*Prince of Peace
*Giving of Hope
*King (King of kings)
*Lord (Lord of lords)
*The Lamb Heb 13:8
Above all the attributes, the Name of Jesus is a guarantee over our requests (that is ‘ask in His Name’), as no other Name can guarantee acceptance of our requests.
In closing, Jesus the Name, Jesus the being and Jesus the God, is an ‘Awesome Wonder’. Let this beautiful name of Jesus transform your life into something meaningful, because until you start living for him, you are not living at all.
This name can be called upon at any time. All it takes is one telephone call to glory.
Call Him when you are in trouble
Call Him when you are sick
Call Him when the marriage is shaky
Call Him when you don’t have food on the table
Call when the job is finished
Call Him when you are being accused