Summary: The purpose of this message is to help us understand the grace of God and lead those who have not been saved by grace to Christ for salvation.
The Wonderful News Of Amazing Grace
A. Two weeks ago we looked at the Good Use of the Law
1. Can you remember the three things the law does when it is used lawfully?
a. Reveals condemnation of the sinner
b. Brings conviction of sin to the sinner
c. Points the sinner to the Christ
2. Folks the law is harsh:
a. James wrote, For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. Jam 2:10
b. And Paul to the Galatians: For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. Gal 3:10
c. And Paul to the Romans: Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Rom 3:19
3. All of this so we might see our need for a Savior, who according to scripture is Christ the Lord
4. For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. John 1:17
B. So we have learned about the law, but this morning I want to turn our eyes to GRACE
1. Outside of the Lord Jesus Christ Himself, the best person to turn to for knowledge about grace is the apostle Paul.
2. Our passage this morning is found in 1 Tim 1:12-17 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. And the GRACE of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting. Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
3. This morning I want us to look at three things
a. Grace: The Means to Salvation
b. Grace: The Activity After Salvation
c. Grace: The Goal Of Salvation
4. Lets pray and ask God to open up the wonders of grace to us this morning.
This morning I want to start in the middle of our passage, for everything else revolves around
I. GRACE: THE MEANS OF SALVATION, 1 Tim. 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
A. This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners;
1. Paul made a bold statement – one in which he believed should be taken whole heartedly and universally
2. Note the phrases:
a) “Faithful saying” – other versions might state it as “trustworthy statement” – it is not fictitious but truth and trustworthy