Summary: The word of knowledge is supernatural revelation, by the Holy Spirit, of certain facts in the mind of God.
"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom, through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another the gift of faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues."
What is the Gift of the Word of Knowledge?
1. The word of knowledge is supernatural revelation, by the Holy Spirit, of certain facts in the mind of God. It is the God-given ability to receive from God, by revelation, the facts concerning something that is humanly impossible for us to know anything about. Important note: It is a gift of the "word" of knowledge. It is not the gift of knowledge.
2. A word is just a fragment or part of a sentence. A "word" of knowledge is just a fragment or a part of God’s knowledge. He gives us a “piece” of His knowledge regarding a particular circumstance or situation.
3. Even though it is true that the Lord has all knowledge and knows everything about absolutely everything, He does not always reveal everything to us. Revelation comes only as He wills it to come. He has always proven Himself to be faithful to speak to His people at the proper time (fullness of time). However, it’s become quite obvious that many of us do not enjoy the waiting process in God’s precious timetable. We want to know everything, right now! The truth of the matter is that the Spirit of God usually doesn’t function in this manner. Normally, we find that revelation comes to us as we begin to seek the truth, not because we have a desire for more knowledge, but because we have a desire for more of Him in our lives.
Why don’t we see this gift more in operation?
1. Thousands of believers have been entrusted with much knowledge, wisdom, and revelation from the Holy Spirit. However, there are some who have been guilty of quietly keeping all of this life-giving information carefully stored away in the memory banks of their own hearts and minds. They have failed to see and experience the wonderful benefits that could be made available to them, because they have neglected to pass the blessing on to others.
2. The Lord brings revelation to His people for specific purposes and reasons. What has been freely given to us must also be freely given to others as the Spirit of God leads. It’s our responsibility to ask the Lord what He wants us to do with the revelation knowledge that He has given to us. If we have a tendency to keep all that He has graciously given to us locked away in the corridors of our hearts, it could possibly hinder any further working of His Spirit in us. His initiative is to bless us so that we, in turn, might be a blessing to others.
3. 1 Cor. 13:9 – For we know in part and we prophesy in part.Prophets only prophesy in part. They don’t see the whole picture. They see only that which the Lord would have them see at any given moment in time. If the Lord chooses to expose sin in our lives, we must receive the word that is given to us so that we can be set free from the enemies power.