Summary: THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN EVANGELISM AND SOUL WINNING
THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN EVANGELISM AND SOUL WINNING
1. The Lord Jesus asked the disciples to wait in Jerusalem until they are filled with the Holy Spirit. He knew that without the power of the Holy Spirit they will not be effective witnesses for Him. They needed the strength and the boldness given by the Holy Spirit to face any opposition. Without the Holy Spirit , these disciples had fled in fear and denied Jesus during his crucifixion. Even though they had listened to all the teachings of Jesus and seen all his miracles , they still did have the strength to stand for Jesus in the hour of trial. Therefore Jesus asked them first to be filled with the power of the Holy Spirit before they began to witness for Him. After they received the Holy spirit , the disciples were willing to even die as martyrs for Jesus. The Lord wants to fill us with the Holy Spirit and power so that we can be bold witnesses for Jesus and demonstrate his power by delivering people from the oppression of the devil.
2. The Holy Spirit will convict the people of sin because they do not believe on Jesus. We must rely on the Holy Spirit to convict the hearts of the sinners. We should not accuse and condemn the sinners. We must speak to sinners with love and compassion. Jesus always spoke to sinners with love. He was called the friend of sinners. Therefore the sinners were drawn to Him and repented of their sins. We must follow the example of Jesus when we witness for the Lord.
3. The Holy Spirit will give us the wisdom we need when we are witnessing for Jesus. We are like sheep among wolves and we need the wisdom of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will comfort us and encourage us when we face opposition and persecution and suffering for the sake of the Gospel. We need not get discouraged when the Holy Spirit is encouraging us.
4. The Holy Spirit will guide us and lead when we go out to preach the gospel. He will tell us where to go and where not to go according to the will of God. We must be obedient and submissive to the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will help us to pray according to the will of God and to worship God in spirit and in truth. We must not be rebellious and resist the Holy Spirit . Obedience is better than sacrifice. Even in serving God , we must do it according to His will and not in a rebellious spirit. We must obey those whom the Lord has placed over us. Being rebellious will not be a blessing to us. Lucifer who was an anointed cherub , rebelled against God in heaven. He wanted to become like God. He did not want to remain submitted to God. Hence he was thrown out of heaven and has since become the devil and satan and an enemy of God .
5. The Holy Spirit gives us the discernment to recognise the voice of God and the voice of satan. Jesus discerned when Peter had a revelation from God . But he also discerned when the devil spoke through Peter. We must be careful because satan is a deceiver and can transform himself into an angel of light to deceive the people of God. We must careful to receive God's guidance directly for our lives. The devil can use people who may claim to have received a revelation from God about us to mislead us.
6. The Holy Spirit calls those whom He has chosen for the ministry . Only those whom the Lord has called for full time ministry should enter into the ministry full time . The Lord will meet the needs of those whom He has called and chosen. No one should enter the full time ministry based on their own desires and selfish motives . The Lord has not promised to meet the needs of those whom He has not called into full time ministry. Everyone should serve God and win souls as believers even as they are working in their secular jobs . Only those whom God has chosen for full time ministry should enter it according to God's guidance and God's timing.