Summary: The greatest success story you could ever have written about you once you have gone, is the story that is lived out through the children you have raised for God. The text in Duet, shows us how we are to raise our children.
Keeping the Home Fire Burning Series
THE WORLD’S GREATEST UNDERTAKING
As we continue to think about the home and the family, one area of vital importance is that of raising our children. I want to address that area this evening and bring am message entitled, "The World’s Greatest Undertaking." Let’s face it, when we have successfully raised our children, we have accomplished something of the highest magnitude. Ill. Former President George Bush was asked this question, "What is you greatest accomplishment in life?" President Bush might have mentioned his success during World War 2 as a Navy pilot. He light have called to mind his 8 years as Vice President under Ronald Reagan. He might have mentioned his own successful presidency. He might have spoken of his time as the head of the CIA, or of his years as U.S. Ambassador to China. He could have bragged about his success during Operation Desert Storm. But, when answering this question, President Bush revealed his heart as well as his priorities when he said, "My greatest accomplishment is that my children still come to see me." Isn’t that true? After all else is said and done, and when all the dust settles in your life, you still have your family to think about. Apparently, Mr. Bush had done right by his children. They responded to his investments in their lives and will remain a legacy to that man even after he is dead and buried.
May I remind you this evening that children are a precious gift from the Lord, Psa. 127:3-5, "Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate." Too often, children are seen as an inconvenience and as a nuisance. Instead of being seen a blessing, parenting is often seen as a burden. We must remember that our children have been given to us, their parents, for a few short years so that we might help them to mature into the image of God. We are not to be guilty of forcing them into our mold, but we are to do everything in our power to mold them into the image of God.
This passage gives us some much needed insights into this matter of child raising. Let’s take the time this evening to learn about better parenting from the Lord and His Word, as we think together about The World’s Greatest Undertaking.
I. RIGHT LIVING (vv. 1-3)
Successful parenting always begins within the parent’s own relationship with God. Regardless of the example of lost parents you may know, no parent can be truly successful in bringing a child up in the image of the Lord unless they know the Lord. Then, the parents must be walking in a right relationship before the Lord or they will never have the influence in their children’s lives that is needed. In other words, you will never be able to lead your children farther than you have been? These first few verses speak to this issue and show us parents where we need to be if we are going to be the effective parents God desires us to be.
A. A Reverence
• We are told in verse 2 that we should fear the Lord.
• That is, we are to walk with an awareness of His glory , His holiness and of His majesty.
• A parent’s primary responsibility is to walk in the fear of the Lord.
• We are to bring our lives under God’s leadership.
• A godly parent places the Lord’s will above all other considerations, realizing that the fear of the Lord is the first step in wisdom and in proper parenting.
B. A Reaction
• When we fear the Lord as we should, this will result in our obedience to the Word of God.
• There is no better witness that a parent can have before his children that the sure knowledge that mom and dad take the Bible seriously.
• That God’s Word is the rule of the home.
• God’s standards are to be our standards!
• Your children will model what they see in your life!
• They will carry away from your home many of your actions.
• Therefore, let’s teach them that God’s Word is to be obeyed.
C. A Reward
• God promised Israel that when they followed His Word, that He would bless them and reward their lives.
• The same holds true today!
• God has promised to bless those who walk in His will and follow His Word.