Summary: Mother’s Day message outlining the value of a Christian mom.
MOTHER’S DAY MESSAGE
“The World’s Worst Mother”
May 8, 2005
Pastor Brian Matherlee
Everyone always seems to give the men a hard time on Father’s Day and sweeten all the ladies up on Mother’s Day. Now, don’t get me wrong, mom’s sure carry the heaviest load for the most part in parenting and deserve a day to be honored. But if Mother’s Day is the only day you honor your mother, shame on you!
Today, I have some pictures of candidates for the title of “World’s Worst Mother”. Somewhere, someone has the worst mother.
Picture #1 is “Mommie Dearest”-Faye Dunaway starred as troubled actress/mother Joan Crawford.
Picture #2 is a cartoon grandmother waving a cane saying, “You deserve a spanking”.
Picture #3 is a woman contorting her face. What kind of mother could she possibly be?
What would the world’s worst mother look like?
I have a picture at the end of the world’s worst mother.
The Bible has much to say about parenting in general and mothers in particular. Moms are spoken about 255 times in the Scripture. There are positive references and negative references. The vast majority of the references give us a picture of the two main responsibilities of a mother.
The first principle role of a mother
is to raise their children
• The Bible says, “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” Proverbs 22:6
• How do we train them?
• “But set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.”--1 Timothy 4:12b (NIV)
• The Message translation puts it this way, “Teach believers with your life: by word, by demeanor, by love, by faith, by integrity. Stay at your post reading Scripture, giving counsel, teaching. And that special gift of ministry you were given when the leaders of the church laid their hands on you and prayed—keep that dusted off and in use.”
o By word
o By demeanor
o By love
o By faith
o By integrity
1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.
"If you’re going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning."
2. My mother taught me RELIGION.
"You better pray that will come out of the carpet."
3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don’t straighten up, I’m going to knock you into the middle of next week!"
4. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
"Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you’re in an accident."
5. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS.
"Shut your mouth and eat your supper."
6. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.
"Will you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!"
7. My mother taught me about STAMINA.
"You’ll sit there until all that spinach is gone."
8 My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.
"If I told you once, I’ve told you a million times. Don’t exaggerate!"
9. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
"Just wait until we get home."
10. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
"If you don’t stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze that way."
11. My mother taught me ESP.
"Put your sweater on; don’t you think I know when you are cold?"