1. The text comes to us from the Song of Solomon, which is the romance book of the Bible.
2. Unlike the romance books of today, this is a story of true love, the ideal relationship.
3. It is generally agreed (Mt. Henry, Origen, Jerome, etc.) that this book portrays the courtship between Christ and His Church.
4. Unger’s Bible Handbook describes the background.
King Solomon had a vineyard about 50 miles N of Jerusalem. He let it out to keepers: a mother, 2 sons, 2 daughters. One daughter, the Shulamite, was the Cinderella of the family. Her natural beauty went unnoticed. She worked very hard tending the vineyards, so that she had little opportunity to care for her personal appearance. One day a handsome stranger came to the vineyard. It was Solomon disguised. She thought he was a shepherd. He spoke loving words to her and promised her rich gifts.
He won her heart and promised some day to return for her. She dreamed of him at night. Finally he did return in all his kingly splendor to take his bride.
This prefigures Christ, who came first as Shepherd (Jn.10:11) and won His Bride. Soon He will return as King (Rev.17:14) and consummate the marriage of the Lamb.
· Enter chapter 5. She dreams that her Lover is knocking on the door. When she opens the door, he is not there. She roams the streets looking for him. The watchman making his rounds reprimands her. Her friends ask her what is so special about her Lover.
· Question. Her friends, known as the daughters of Jerusalem, amazed at her devotion ask, “What is thy beloved more than another beloved?” What is so special about Him?
· His hair is black and wavy,
· eyes like two white doves in a blue pond,
· cheeks smell like spices,
· lips are red as roses,
· arms are (masculine) like bars of gold,
· legs like pillars of marble,
· voice is tender to my ears,
· I am my beloved’s and He is mine.
· There is nobody like Him!
6. Today this world and society day ask the church the same question. What is so special about Jesus? Why do you devote your whole life to Him?
7. Our Answer. There is Nobody like Jesus.
The Preciousness of Jesus requires our Unconditional Commitment to Him.
What is so precious or special about Jesus?
1. His Birth
(ILL. The birth of my two children was special to me.)
· Daniel foretold the time (9:25)
· Micah foretold the place (5:2)
· Isaiah foretold the miracle
Isa 7:14 Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
2. Virgin Birth
In The Chemistry Of The Blood, Dr. M.R. DeHaan explains (page 31) “From the time of conception to the time of birth of the infant not one single drop of blood ever passes from mother to child. The mother contributes no blood at all.”
ILL. Illegitimate child’s blood can be linked to its father.
Jesus didn’t have Adam’s blood nor Eve’s blood.
Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.
Christ had sinless, spotless, precious, royal, divine blood.
Heb 9:22 without shedding of blood there is no remission.
1 Pet 1:18,19 you were not redeemed with corruptible things ...but with the precious blood of Christ.
ILL. Hymn - (Nothing But the Blood - Robert Lowery - 368)
What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
O precious is the flow that makes me white as snow,
No other Fount I know, nothing but the blood of Jesus.
2. His Life
(ILL. Winston Churchill may be the Man of the Century.)
1. Divine and Human.
Jesus as God is God’s way to man.
Jesus as Man is man’s way to God.
1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus
ILL. Nazareth Shop. They didn’t know who He was.
At Jordan river.
Father says, “This is My beloved Son” (Mt.3:17)
John says, “Behold the Lamb of God” (Jn.1:29)
Peter says, “Thou art the Christ” (Mt.16:18)
Samaritan says, “Come see a Man” (Jn.4:29)
Centurion says, “This was the Son of God” (Mk.15:39)
Do you know who Jesus is?
At Cana’s Wedding, He is a guest who performs a miracle.
At Lazarus’ Tomb, He weeps and calls forth the dead.
At the Sea of Galilee, He sleeps and calms the storm.