Summary: God has little interest in our attempts at being righteous. We will always lack one more thing in our own strength.
Wonder and Amazement
How many of you this morning came into the sanctuary and were amazes, awed or astounded?
- Just as I thought
- Everything was pretty much as you expected right?
- Now some of us, and I hope all of us, were drawn into worship as we sang and prayed
- But did you come to stand in awe and amazement of God?
- Why not?
Let us consider for a moment, who it is we worship
- How many of you have been out at night and looked up at the starry night sky?
- How many stars are there up there?
- Millions, billions, trillions?
- Who put each one in place?
- Who holds them all in their place?
- God is the only one
- Is that not amazing, extraordinary?
- Yes, of course- think, imagine
- Who is this God we worship?
Consider the earth
- Have you ever sat on the grass and looked down into it?
- Did you see the bugs and the plants, the complexity of life there?
- Who made it?
- How does it all work?
- Does it ever inspire any sense of wonder at the Creator of that?
- Have you ever laid in the grass under a tree and watched the breeze move the leaves?
- Have you ever thought about all the mystery that fills our days?
- How does a baby grow?
- How does the earth turn and the sun warm the day, the plants make our food, children become adults?
- Have you ever experienced anything unexpected, out of the ordinary?
- Have you ever encountered a person who blessed you for no good reason?
- Have you ever entertained angels?
- Or maybe they weren’t angels, but you know God sent them?
Sometimes we are so dulled emotionally and spiritually that we miss the unexpected, the extraordinary, the hand of God, the brush of His Spirit through our day
- Have you ever watched a child see something new?
- They look and touch and study
- They see and find something unknown, unexpected
- They see the mystery and get excited
Perhaps that is why Jesus told us we have to be like little children to receive the kingdom of God
- Have you ever read the Bible and encountered something incredible?
- The Bible is the story of a God who showers compassion on His people
- That is out of the ordinary
- The other gods of the pagans required much from their worshippers
- They rarely showed compassion
- Our God is a God of love, compassion, grace and that is extraordinary
Read Ps 104:1-9 and 31-33
We have allowed the daily grind, sin, the world, materialism dull our senses and our hearts
- We have allowed the wonder of God to fade
- Remember when you first really encountered God?
- Were you calm, logical, scientific in your response?
- Somehow I doubt you were
So how do we overcome this antiwonder bent in our culture and in our souls?
- How do we grow in wonder of God?
Let’s look at Gen 28 and the story of Jacob
- We will start at verse 10
- 10 Then Jacob departed from Beersheba and went toward Haran.
- 11 He came to a certain place and spent the night there, because the sun had set; and he took one of the stones of the place and put it under his head, and lay down in that place.
- 12 He had a dream, and behold, a ladder was set on the earth with its top reaching to heaven; and behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.