Summary: Discussion and connection of Job's situation to 9/11
I would like to submit the outline below for possible use in the publication Pulpit Helps under Sermon Starter and Outlines. Sorry, I know it is long. I tried to shorten it as much as I could. Please feel free to alter it as appropriate. Thank you.
THERE WAS A DAY
I. THERE WAS A DAY Of Plenty Job 1:1-4
A. There was a Man
1. Perfect and Upright
2. Feared God and Eschewed Evil; Abstaining from all evil. I Thes. 5:22
B. This Man Had Great Possessions
1. Seven Sons and Three Daughters; Numerous Animals; Very Great Household
2. In sum: Greatest of all men of the east.
II. THERE WAS A DAY Of Plotting Job 1:6-12
A. When Satan Desired Job
1. Doth Job fear God for nought? (v. 9)
2. You have a hedge about him. (v. 10)
B. Permission Requested
1. Put forth thine hand now and touch (smite) all that he hath. (v. 11)
2. He will curse thee to thy face.
C. Permission Granted --> All that he hath is in they power. (v. 12)
D. Permission Restricted -->Only upon himself put not forth thine hand.
III. THERE WAS A DAY Of Plundering (v. 13) Job 1:13-19
A. Loss of Material Possessions
1. Oxen and Donkeys taken by Sabeans; Servants slain. (v. 14-15)
2. Fire from heaven burned sheep and servants.
3. Camels taken and servants slain by Chaldeans. (v. 17)
B. Loss of Children. Satan wasted no time in carrying out his desires against Job.
IV. THERE WAS A DAY Of Perplexing (Confusing, Confounding) Job 1:20-22
A. Job rent his mantle (deep grief); Fell down upon the ground; Worshipped God. (v. 20)
B. Job blessed the name of the Lord. (v. 21)
V. THERE WAS A DAY Of Presenting Job 2:1-10
A. Skin for Skin --> Again Permission Requested.
1. Touch his bone and his flesh. (2:5)
2. He will curse thee to thy face.
B. Permission Granted -->He is in thine hand.
C. Permission Restricted -->Save his life. (2:6)
1. Sore boils; Scraping with a potsherd. (2:7-8)
2. Wife --> An instrument of Satan. --> Curse God and die. (2:9)
VI. THERE WAS A DAY Of Plenty
A. The U. S. has enjoyed several years of plenty.
1. Numerous economy indicators have reached all time highs.
2. Multitudes of individuals have become millionaires.
B. Morality however has reached all time lows.
1. Pornography; Abortion; Homosexuality; Gambling
2. Our schools are nearly God-less and definitely dangerous.
VII. THERE WAS A DAY Of Plotting
A. In Heaven
1. Did Satan present himself to God again? I think maybe he did.
2. Did he desire to devastate the U. S.?
3. Did he request permission?
4. Did God give him permission? God being who He is, may not have desired it, but had to allow it before it could have happened.
5. Did God restrict the permission? For our sakes, I hope He did.
B. On Earth
1. Finances, Passports, and Pilot training for a suicide mission.
2. Planning to kill, steal, and destroy --> Instruments of Satan.
VIII. THERE WAS A DAY Of Plundering
A. Two Landmark Towers.
Like the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated, or the day the space-shuttle “Challenger” exploded, no one will forget where they were Sept. 11, 2001.
1. North Tower hit at 8:48 a.m.
2. South Tower hit at 9:03 a.m.
3. South tower collapses at 10:05 a.m.
4. North tower collapses at 10:29 a.m.
B. The Pentagon
IX. THERE WAS A DAY Of Perplexing
A. Why God? Why did those people have to die?
1. Do you suppose the people in those towers were sinners above all?
2. Luke 13:1-5 Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
B. What about us? What should our response be?
1. God bless America? Or, God please forgive America?
2. Job was an upright man, yet when calamity came, he fell down and worshipped.
3. What should be the response of a nation steeped in sin?
X. THERE WAS A DAY Of Promise
A. On Mount Calvary.
B. There is yet hope. II Cor. 6:2 “behold, now is the day of salvation.”
Luther A. Sexton