Summary: Exegetical; verse by verse exposition of John 1:35-51, The disciples decide to follow Jesus, with a challenge in the invitation for the audience to do so also.
INTRODUCTION: John 20:31 says “but these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.”
1) Day 3. “Again the next day,” ties these verses to the previous verses. John is still the focus, but not for long!
· John sees Jesus, & again says “Behold, the Lamb of God.” John points his disciples to Jesus. Preachers should always point people to Jesus, in word & deed.
· What did John’s disciples do? They followed Jesus. Not just for then & there, but for aught & aye. How are you following Jesus? The easy way, or are you for real?
· Jesus asked them “What are you looking for?” Jesus forced them to define what they were doing, why they were following Him. Why are you following Jesus?
· Jesus gives a clear invitation, “Come & you will see.” Have you accepted Jesus’ invitation to come & see? Why not? What do you want, an engraved invitation?
· Having stayed with Jesus, being his follower, Andrew goes to his brother, Simon, & he brings Simon to Jesus? Have you told your family about Jesus? Why not?
· Simon followed his brother’s lead & comes to Jesus. If someone is telling you about Jesus, why aren’t you paying attention to them? The invitation is clear: “Come!”
2) Day 4: The fourth day, Jesus is going to go to Galilee. On His way He finds Philip: “Follow me,” & Philip does!
· Look what Philip does: he finds Nathaniel: “We have found the Messiah, & He is Jesus of Nazareth!” Acts4:12
· Nathaniel has doubts. Philip is not put off by his doubt, but says “Come & see.” What stops you from witnessing? What do you have to lose? What do the people witnessed to have to lose?
· Jesus: “Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no gile.” Jesus knows him, & Jesus knows you. His doubts were honest. Do you doubt Jesus? Do you act like you doubt Jesus?
· Natthanial confesses: “You are the Son of God, You are the King of Israel.” Have you declared Jesus as your LORD?
· “You shall see greater things than these. You will see Heaven.” What do you see? What do you want to see? What will you see?
INVITATION: Do you see Jesus? Do you follow Him? Do you want to follow Jesus? God has given you an engraved invitation, it was engraved in the hands of Jesus. Jesus’ disciples followed Him, will you?