Summary: What should a Christian Focus his thoughts on.
Think On These Things
Every moment of every minute in every hour of every day, we are thinking. You are even thinking right now. The daily Newspaper gives us things to think about, the cable TV is full of things to think about; even the car radio has things to consider. With a sea of information around us, what SHOULD our thoughts be focused on?
Are we simply thinking without control of what we think? Are we simply a victim to outside forces, or can we control our thoughts?
The Apostle Paul gave us a blueprint for thinking. Look at (Phil 4:8) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
1. Keep your mind true. (Matt 22:16) ...the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, (Be true and teach truth) (John 8:32) And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. NO LIES! (John 7:18) He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.
2. Keep your thoughts on Honest things (2 Cor 13:7) Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, (1 Peter 2:12) Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.
3. Be Just and fair in your thoughts (Matt 1:19) Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily. (Acts 10:22) And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.
4. Keep your thoughts Pure, Language and behavior (Matt 5:8) Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. (2 Tim 2:22) Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
5. If something is pretty and Lovely to see then accentuate the positive, minimize the negative. (1 Chronicles 16:29) Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. Our VERY Worship is LOVELY to the Lord.
6. Think on things of GOOD report. (Heb 11:2) For by it the elders obtained a good report. (Heb 11:39) And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: (3 John 1:12) Demetrius hath good report of all men, and of the truth itself: yea, and we also bear record; and ye know that our record is true. [I NEVER MET DEMETRIUS, BUT I’LL BET HE WAS A SRECIAL MAN.]
7. What is Virtue? “Moral excellence and righteousness; goodness. An example or kind of moral excellence: the virtue of patience. Chastity, especially in a woman. A particularly efficacious, good, or beneficial quality;...” (http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/?s=Virtue)
8. Things that create Praise. Hard work. Clean living. Good Language. Bible Study. Daily Prayer.
Many Things Distract our thoughts. We need to, (1 Thess 5:17) Pray without ceasing.
What about our thoughts? Are they righteous thoughts? Are they EVIL thoughts? If we are Christians – Do we think like Christians? Do we live like Christians? ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN?
DO YOU WANT TO BE A CHRISTIAN?
We have to hear the word of God and understand what is being taught. Romans 10:17, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” So it’s not just hearing, but it’s hearing the word of God.
We have to believe what we have heard. These are not just words; it is the plan of salvation. Jesus said, John 8:24 “For if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.” Belief in Christ is essential. There is NO other way.
We must repent of our sins. Jesus said in “Luke 13:3 “I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” Unless we repent, we perish. That is the consequence of SIN.
We must confess that Jesus is the Christ, The only begotten son of God. Jesus said in Matt10:32 “Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. (33) But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.