Summary: Lord's supper message
Pastor Allan Kircher
THIS DO IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME
11 August 2013
• Only two ordinances/Baptists recognize.
• Ordinance means, “A law, or something prescribed.”
• Baptists recognize two rituals prescribed by Word/God.
• ordinance of baptism by immersion
• Lord’s Supper or Communion.
Baptism/symbolic act/portrays what Jesus has done for the believer in salvation.
• Picture/person dying out/old life of sin
• Rising again to a new life of service to the Lord.
• Outward symbol/inward work/God/human spirit.
The Lord’s Supper/symbolic act/calls to mind the death, resurrection and promised return of our Lord Jesus Christ.
• Take the bread/cup, we are remembering the day when Jesus Christ died for our sins on the cross, was buried, and rose again from the dead.
• Communion/symbol/eternal work God did through His Son the Lord Jesus Christ.
This morning, we will do what Christians have been doing for over 2,000 years.
• We will remember Jesus; what He did
• Why He did it and what it means for us.
• More than anything else
• The Lord’s Supper service is a time of remembrance.
That is why Jesus said, “This do in remembrance of Me.”
And, that is the thought that I wish to magnify for a few minutes this morning.
Allow me to share three facts regarding the nature of the Lord’s Supper as we think on the thought:
This Do In Remembrance Of Me.
I. IT IS A TIME OF COMMEMORATION
The word Commemorate means “to honor the memory of somebody or something in a ceremony; to serve as a memorial to something.”
• If the Lord’s Supper is anything, it is a memorial.
• Time to remember Jesus and what He did for us.
• The following is what we commemorate today.
A. We Commemorate His Sufferings
• V. 24/25 talks “broken body”/“blood”/Jesus.
• These vivid phrases bring to mind suffering and pain.
When we take the elements/Lord’s Supper, we are to remember Jesus Christ suffered horribly for us to save us from our sins.
• Jesus suffered at the hands of man – Isa. 52:14.
• Suffered at the hands of God, Isa. 53:1-12; Matt. 27:46.
B. We Commemorate His Sacrifices
Fact/Jesus Christ was/human body speaks/sacrifices He made to redeem us.
• God became/man, lived/died/world/redeem/lost, John 1:1,
• He suffered shame, Matt. 27:39-44;
• rejection, John 1:11;
• poverty, 2 Cor. 8:9; pain, 1 Pet. 2:21; death, John 19:30.
In fact, the goal of giving Himself as our sacrifice was His whole purpose in coming to this world in the first place, Luke 19:10.
When the bread/juice are passed around in a little while; stop to remember what Jesus did for you.
We are here to commemorate His sufferings/sacrifices for us!
II.IT IS A TIME OF CELEBRATION