Summary: Only one way to walk in God's truth.
The Voice behind you
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
Delivered on September 9th, 2012
"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it."—Isaiah 30:21.
King Ahab/Jezebel killing off Lord’s prophets
• Obadiah/Godly man/hid/prophets
• Obadiah/met Elijah
• Ahab calls Elijah troubler
Elijah just defeated 450 prophets of Baal on Mt. Carmel.
• Puts prophets to death Kishon valley
• Jezebel after Elijah
• Elijah frightened/broom tree/voice of God came twice
• Eat/drank/strengthened him to journey
• Came to Horeb/ cave
Read Scripture 1 Kings 19:11b-12
God spoke to Elijah, not in the power of the wind, earthquake, or fire, but in a still small voice.
• God wanted Elijah/know/He is much more than/storm god.
• He is powerful/controls all nature
• but often speaks in the quietness of the day.
It is not the fire, wind, and earthquake that show the power of God, but the truth of His Word. In the midst of the storms of life, we still find peace in the still small voice of His Word
• This hopeful morning we shall hear/same "still small voice"
• speaking a warning and teaching word
• we will see how it operates upon the sinner
• reaching both his ear and his heart.
God calls to the rebellious, and by his gentle word they are brought to his feet with repentance
• turned from their evil wandering
• and led in the way of obedience.
God’s “word behind us” as He speaks of in the text is a covenant blessing
• No “if” “ands” or “but” are attached to it.
• It is an unconditional promise!
• Your salvation depends upon it!
The comforts of our own life depend on our own action and behavior.
• They are conditional. We make or break them.
• But the comforts of our new life are secured by God.
• Nothing is attached to them for God says,
• This is the way, walk in it!
I ask you this morning to admire/free/sovereign/grace/God.
• He makes/promise/anybody
• Especially/people/He speaks here/”a rebellious people”.
• Lying children
• Children/that will not hear the law of the Lord.
He severely chastises them, and then in great patience he says to them, even to them, "Your ears shall hear a voice behind you."
• God's grace is marvelous in itself
• but its most marvelous in the way it in flows:
• It runs down into the Dead Sea of sin and makes the waters pure.
I. I invite you to notice first of all THE POSITION OF THE WANDERER to whom this special blessing comes.
• Those who drift away a bit.
• How does God find men who wander?
• God declares they hear a voice behind them.
• A small subtle voice ringing in their ears.