Summary: Living as Children of Light. (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Reading: Ephesians chapter 5 verses 1-21.
• Rory Bremner & Aliastair McGowan are famouse impersonators.
• As you look at then you see the person they are imitating.
• It may be a famous politician or sports star or a well known celebrity.
• Both Rory Bremner & Aliastair McGowan will look and sound like that person.
Now the word imitator:
• Is what Paul uses in verse 1;
• “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children”
• It is literally the word ‘Mimic,’
• And a mimic impersonates, copies, is a replica of someone else.
Verse 1: Goes on to explain who we are to mimic; we should be imitating God:
• This verse sets the theme for this section.
• Paul is simply teaching us that children are like their parents,
• Now I realise that this fact can be both encouraging and embarrassing,
• For both children and parents.
• It can be a pleasant or a scary experience,
• When you realise you are turning into your parents.
And there is always a family remembrance:
• Ill: Looks, a stranger could match family members together
• Ill: Mannerisms, we start acting like our parents!
• If we are the children of God,
• Then we ought to imitate our heavenly Father.
• This is the basis for Paul’s teaching in this chapter,
• And there are three admonitions in this section.
• God is love (1 John chapter 4 verse 8);
• Therefore, mimic him by, “walking in love” (verses 1-2).
• God is light (1 John chapter 1 verse 5);
• Therefore, mimic him by “Walking as children of light” (verses 3-14).
• God is truth (1 John chapter 5 verse 6);
• Therefore, mimic him by, “Walking in wisdom” (verses 15-17).
Pause to say:
• You cannot be a successful imitator of God,
• Unless you are connected to God through faith in Jesus Christ.
• A counsellor was given an opportunity to open a counselling office in a university.
• On the opening day, he sat at his desk for several hours before anyone came.
• Hearing someone enter the small waiting room,
• He picked up the phone and pretended he was talking to someone about their problems.
• The man who had entered stood there silently,
• Until the counsellor put down the phone and asked him how he could help.
• “I’m the telephone engineer,” the man replied.
• “I’ve come to connect your phone.”
• How many here tonight are playing at Christianity?
• Looking the part but not actually being connected?
Now if you claim to be connected to God then be an imitator!
• Ill: Jesus “I do always those things that please the Father!”
• Ill: God testified of him “I am well pleased”
• Tough question: Are you doing the things that please the father?
• Tough question: “Is he pleased with you tonight?”