Summary: Christians are God’s instruments to bring light into this dark world
Mat 5:14-16 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
A. Remember this? "This Little Light Of Mine...Hide it under a bushel, NO!"
B. Like it or not, we are on display. People look at us and expect us to act a certain way, talk a certain way. They are watching how we act. Just like a job interview or a pastor coming to candidate, you are on display.
C. When I walk in a room, I expect my light bulbs to work. I expect that when I flip the switch I get to see better because things are illuminated.
D. God expects the same from us – We are His flashlights, His lighthouses, and His light bulbs.
We "Shine Like The Stars in the universe."
Phil 2:12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. 14 Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe 16 as you hold out the word of life--
We are Lights
A. This World Needs Light
1. We live in a world that does not care about Jesus. It is a world that makes fun of Christians, but it needs us. It may not be a very comfortable position to be in but we play an important role in this world.
2. The opportunity to shine brighter is greater today than ever.
3. We are to be examples to the world of high Christian living.
4. We are living epistles (books) of Christ in the world.
B. The source of light is the sun (son)
1. Nearly all the light that fills the world is reflected from a million objects around us, and does not stream down directly from the sun. Similarly, Jesus is the supreme Source - The Son of Righteousness. His light is reflected upon the world from the millions of believers whom he has enlightened and blessed by His Spirit (Pulpit, 75).
2. Jesus is the Light of the world. We are lesser lights. Our light is borrowed from His.
Ill. A poor little boy once heard his Sunday School teacher say Jesus was the light of the world. He took her remark quite literally. After class, the boy said to his teacher, "If Jesus really is the light of the world, I wish He’d come hang out in my alley. It’s awful dark where I live."
3. Christ is the power supply and we each light up our own corner of darkness.
C. Our duty is to let the light of God shine through us, not hide it under a bushel.
There are 2 ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it
What Do We Have That Shines in the Darkness?
What Sticks Out? The Evidence? If You were on trial...?
Our lives are to be marked, not by a mere absence of fault, but by a conspicuous exhibition of all those positive graces that are identified with the full power of the Word of Life.