Summary: series on the Beatutudes
How To Really Be Blessed Series
“Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.” (4)
I. THE CHARACTER-->Those that are mourning
A. One Concern
Those that are grieving over death, sickness, tragedy, etc. Certainly God is a God of comfort and would certainly demonstrate His great compassion in those situations
B. Our Context
1. Not an outward response to a mournful situation
2. But an inward characteristic that is responding to something that is within
3. From our key verse, Mat. 5:20, it must be dealing with that which would keep us from having a greater righteousness and that could only be sin.
4. See James 4:7-10
5. Last week, I look inside and rightly assess my spirit. I am totally helpless without Christ and if fact, have become a beggar. I am desperate for help and must recognize that only the Lord can give me what I need. Praise God He does!
6. Today, I take a look inside and rightly assess my sin. I realize that I am totally depraved and that there dwells no righteousness in my at all. Romans 3:10, 23
7. Therefore, I mourn over my sinfulness and at the same time must determine who or what can help me. I must approach this situation like the Apostle Paul did in Romans 7:24: “O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lordl…”
II. THE CONSEQUENCE-->they shall be comforted
A. It’s Implication
1. I cannot solve my problem on my own. In a sense, I am unable to “comfort” myself.
2. I must find an outside source to deal with my sinfulness.
B. It’s Immensity
1. From the meaning of the word “comfort”-->Gk. Parakaleo
a. para-->alongside (para-medic/para-professional/para-legal)
b. kaleo-->to call
c. Therefore, to call someone alongside for the purpose of rendering help!
2. From the magnitude of the word
a. Since I am totally helpless to help myself, a cry must go out for someone, who is greater than I, to come alongside and help.
b. Fortunately, for all of us, there is someone who is able to do that very thing. It is Jesus. He has already paid the price. He comes along my side and bears the load of my sin. I am comforted and am blessed both now and forever!