Summary: "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour."
1. THE PRINCIPLE OF HONESTY - "false witness"
Prov 12 v. 22 "Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight."
Proverbs 6 (quickview)  v. 16 - 19 "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."
(b) Lying Defined - i.e, its origin -
John 8 (quickview)  v. 44 "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." ,
its operation - 1 John 1 (quickview)  v. 6 - 10 "If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."
we can lie by our walk - v. 6 "If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:"
we can lie by our words v. 8 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."
we can lie by our works - v. 10 "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."
(1) Defile v. 2 "For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body."
(2) Direct - v. 3 & 4 "Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth."
(3) Disturb - v. 5 "Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!"
(4) Destroy - v. 6 "And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell."
- homes, families,marriages, churches, businesses, governments
(5) Deceive - v. 9 "Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God."