Summary: Surrender is essential in a believer’s life
THREE SECRETS OF Being An Effective Believer-2
It is said that Cyrus, the founder of the Persian Empire, once had captured a prince and his family.
When they came before him, the monarch asked the prisoner,
"What will you give me if I release you?" "The half of my wealth," was his reply.
"And if I release your children?" "Everything I possess."
"And if I release your wife?" "Your Majesty, I will give myself."
Cyrus was so moved by his devotion that he freed them all.
As they returned home, the prince said to his wife, "Wasn’t Cyrus a handsome man!"
With a look of deep love for her husband, she said to him, "I didn’t notice. I could only keep my eyes on you- -the one who was willing to give himself for me."
Doesn’t the world have a lot to offer, to discover, fun things to do,
The things of the world grow STRANGLY DIM in the Light of His Wonderful face
• Because of what God has done thru Jesus Christ for each one of us we should be compelled to lay it all on the altar.
• God calls us to Surrender: Present ourselves: Body – Mind – Will
I urge you therefore brethren by the mercies of God to present your bodies a living sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
• Our sacrifice is to be Living(daily, constant, 24/7) and Holy(complete separation from the world.
• This decision is ACCEPTABLE – REASONABLE – TRUE WORSHIP
PRESENT YOUR MINDS: And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds,..
• TWO CHOICES: Which defines your life? Conformed to the world or transformed by the Word.
• Two present tense: meaning based upon the one time surrender we are to daily do these two commands: Do not & Do.
1. DO NOT BE SQUEEZED INTO THE MOLD OF THE WORLD: constant pressure to conform to opinions and ways of the world. To be fashioned in it’s image. Continual SPIN of ideas to ridicule and attack that which is holy and right.
Work place, school pressure to fashion you into surrounding mold.
a. Schematic of this world. Popular thought, that which is constantly changing, mold.
1) Identify with the world to win people? God told His people to walk different, talk different, live different, different in our marriages, in our families, in our priorities.
2) Pattern and philosophies of this world revolve around self. Benefit me, advance my ends, my happiness, my needs.
2. DO BE TRANSFORMED: Unique spiritual truth.
a. Church has ‘conformed’ people in the pews every Sunday. Conformed to certain beliefs, conformed to expectations but not transformed by relationship with Jesus Christ.
1) Conforming is to response from pressure from without, but transformation is to release a power from within.
b. Metamorphisis: Transfiguration/Butterfly. Take on a new appearance because of the revealing of an inner nature.
It is the inside coming to the surface.
A new nature freely developing and evidencing itself.
‘change of form’
Same word used of Jesus on the Mount of TRANSFIGURATION: The diety within came to the surface to be seen. Witnessed that there was something more there than had met the eye.