Summary: Sermon series on 1 John
Series: 1 John
Passage: 1 John 4:19-21
Title: Three Truths about God’s Love that Move us to Love Others
Focus: Loving Others
INTRODUCTION: Take a moment and think about what you do in the week. Now think about why you do those things. What is the reason in which you are doing the things you do? Have you ever thought about this?
SCRIPTURE: “We love because he first loved us. 20 If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.” 1 John 4:19-21
This morning we let John answer the question: why do we love others?
TITLE: Three Truths about God’s Love that Move us to Love Others
POINT #1: God’s Love Inspires Us to Love (1 John 4:19 – The Foundation/Reason)
• Explanation: John states “we love because he first loved us.” (4:19). John aspiration is that we as Christians would come to understand that God’s love motivates or drives us to love others. His love is the momentum and foundation we need for service.
o QUESTION: Name one thing you do in the week because of God’s love for you?
• If we want to know God better then we must understand that ALL we do is done because of His love for us. He is the ONLY one who makes everything possible!
o 3 Ways to Get Motivated
• Draw Near to God/Worship: To serve God better there must be a longing to draw near to God, to worship Him.
• Hebrews 10:22 “Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith.”
• James 4:8 “Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts.”
o Immerse yourself in that which is of God!
• Might be worth describing “worship” here. I think we are still at a place where many of our people would say this is singing. A mention of serving, giving, practicing spiritual disciplines, etc could be good for our people.
• Align Yourself Under the Lord: Often times we do not like what we do. Our jobs are demanding and stressful. The people we work with are draining, etc. etc. If we align ourselves under the Lord we can change our perspective of whom we ultimately work for.
• Colossians 3:23 “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.”
• Colossians 4:1 “Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair, because you know that you also have a Master in heaven.”
o The self does not advance, God’s kingdom advances!
• Eliminate the World: What are you holding on to that is keeping you away from experiencing the joy of the Lord? What is God asking you to release so that you can engage Christ more?
• Hebrews 13:5 “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."