Summary: God's Kingdom is Personal and gives Purpose to life.
SERIES: The Greatest Prayer Ever Prayed #4
TITLE: Thy Kingdom Come
TEXT: Matthew 6:9-10a
INTRO: James Erwin is one of but a few men to walk on the moon. As he stood upon the lunar landscape and looked up at the earth, he prayed for the first time in his life. He thought about the strife among nations, poverty, hunger, and rampant evil; and he thought to himself: "What is more important than man walking on the moon is that God should walk on earth."
What does KINGDOM mean?
1. Thy kingdom come. The word kingdom here means reign. The petition is the expression of a wish that God may reign everywhere; that his laws may be obeyed; and especially that the gospel of Christ may be advanced everywhere, till the world shall be filled with his glory.
2. The gospels refer to two kingdoms
(a) The kingdom of God the Son, Jesus Christ which we enter through baptism and where we remain until the Last Day: “Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.” (1 Cor.15:24)
(b) The kingdom of God the Father: “Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.” (Mat.13:43)
3. Elmer Towns - The Kingdom of God is His rule of our hearts. Jesus wants to sit on the throne of our heart. “But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness” (Matt. 6:33).
The word kingdom" comes from the Greek word “basilia” and it means to Rule or to Reign. When we pray "Thy kingdom come" we are asking that God would be in control of what happens in our world, rather than Satan.
A Saint Prays (continued)
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."
"Do you really mean that?"
"Sure, why not?"
"What are you doing about it?"
"Doing? Nothing, I guess! I just think it would be kind of neat if you got control of everything down here like you have up there."
"Have I got control of you?"
"Well ... I go to church."
"That isn't what I asked you. What about your bad temper? You've really got a problem there, you know. And then there's the way you spend your money ... all on yourself. And what about the kind of books you read?"
"Stop picking on me! I'm just as good as some of the rest of those people at the church...."
I.THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS PERSONAL
A. The King
1. You can't have a Kingdom without a King. The entire Gospel of Matthew is about the King: Jesus:
-His parables of the kingdom,
-His death, burial, resurrection, and ascension to sit at the Father's right hand
2. John the Baptists mission in life was to prepare the way for the coming of the King, so he preached, "Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Mat.3:2)
B. The Kingdom
1. The kingdom of God is where He rules
(Luk.17:21) Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
2. The kingdom doesn't include everyone
(Mat.7:21) Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.