Summary: Solo Deo Gloria — to the glory of God alone — means that the entire process of salvation — and creation, for that matter — has as its goal glorifying God.
To God’s Glory Alone
1. Some people do not get it. I handed the teller at my bank a withdrawal slip for $400.00
I said “May I have large bills, please”.
She looked at me and said “I’m sorry sir, all the bills are the same size.”
I explained it to her.
2. When we talk about God’s glory or glorifying God, folks have little idea what we are talking about. Sometimes because the people bringing up the subject do not know what they are talking about. Glorifying God, for example, is a much broader term than is the word Worship.
3. The 5th Sola, Solo Deo Gloria, is about the fact that God orchestrated salvation to bring glory to Himself. But this is best understand against the backdrop of glorifying God in general. So we will look at the broader subject of glorifying God, and then focus in upon how salvation does so.
Main Idea: Solo Deo Gloria — to the glory of God alone — means that the entire process of salvation — and creation, for that matter — has as its goal glorifying God.
I. God’s Glory is the GENERAL Reason for All Creation.
Revelation 4:11, “ “Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created.”
A. Glorifying God refers to broadcasting what is SPECIAL about Him.
1. Creation highlights His POWER and creative genius.
2. Some people highlight His grace, mercy and LOVE.
3. Other people highlight His JUSTICE.
• Many agnostics/ atheists are respectful & considerate of believers, but we see a growing animosity; mockery, condescending comments, contempt.
• C. S. Lewis wrote, ““A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell.”
B. Glorifying God includes ENJOYING His creation in a proper way.
• We don’t have to justify everything with do with a directly spiritual reason. Enjoying the life God gives us, with a thankful heart, glorifies Him.
• I Corinthians 10:31, “Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
• Ecclesiastes 2:24-26a, “There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God, for apart from him who can eat or who can have enjoyment? For to the one who pleases him God has given wisdom and knowledge and joy…”
• I Timothy 6:17, “God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy.”
• Most people who are out of balance suspect this about themselves, but stifle it.
C. The Three PERSONS of the Trinity seek to bring glory to One Another.
Philippians 2:5-10, “ Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 1so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.