Summary: The justification we receive from God motivates us to bless others.
Touched By God to Touch Others For God
This is now the 5th Blessing associated with Justification. “We have now received reconciliation”
‒ Noun and Verb form used 13x in NT.
‒ “a change in relationship”
‒ formerly ENEMIES
‒ now FRIENDS
‒ 4 key passages
★ The BASIS of Reconciliation. Eph 2:16. Reconciled through the cross.
★ The BLESSINGS of Reconciliation. Col 1:20-22.
‒ Peace through his blood.
‒ Without blemish.
‒ Free from accusation.
I preached this SERMON the 1st Sunday of 2004!
★ The BURDEN of Reconciliation. 2 Corinthians 5:18-20. We have been given the ministry of reconciliation.
READ Romans 5:9-11
I. The BASIS of Reconciliation. The CROSS
A. The Cross was needed because we were God’s ENEMIES.
1. Romans 5:10 "For if, when we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!"
2. Colossians 1:21 "Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior."
B. The Cross was needed because God was AGAINST US.
1. Colossians 2:13-14 "When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross."
2. Ephesians 2:1 “ As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins,"
3. Ephesians 2:3 "All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath."
From OBJECTS of WRATH to OBJECTS of LOVE
C. Payment was PROVIDED by CHRIST.
1. The Gospel is a PRECISE MESSAGE. “Missions brings life to a people not by bringing a vague message about God, but a clear message about the Son of God - Jesus Christ - his death, his life, and the justification, reconciliation, and salvation that come from God through him.” John Piper, Dec 12, 1999 sermon. By John Piper. © Desiring God. Website: desiringGod.org
2. Only God can rescue us from his wrath!
3. PROOF of this from Romans 5:9-11. FIVE PASSIVE VERBS
a. 5:9 “we have been justified”
b. 5:9 “we shall be saved”
c. 5:10 “we were reconciled”
d. 5:10 “having been reconciled”
e. 5:10 “we will be saved”
9 πολλον μαλλον δικαιωθέντες νυν ἐν τ αἵματι αὐτο aor passive
σωθησόμεθα διʼ αὐτο ἀπὸ της ὀργης. Future passive
10 εἰ γὰρ ἐχθροὶ ὄντες κατηλλάγημεν το θεω διὰ Aor passive
το θανάτου του υἱου αὐτου, πολλω μλλον καταλλαγέντες Aor passive
σωθησόμεθα ἐν τη ζωη αὐτου Future passive
f. In ENGLISH, we see it in the PREPOSITIONS.
(1) (by his blood)
(2) (saved from God’s wrath through him)
(3) (reconciled to him)
(4) (through the death of his son)
(5) (how much more shall we be saved through his life)
II. The BLESSINGS of Reconciliation (PROMISE was GUARANTEED)
(Col 1:20-22) "and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation—"
A. Romans 5:10b
B. Romans 4:25"He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification."
1. His DEATH paid the price
2. His RESURRECTION guarantees that the promise is valid!
3. 1 Corinthians 15:17 "And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins."
4. 1 Peter 1:21 "Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God."
God’s OFFER of reconciliation must be received for you to enjoy these BLESSINGS
illus - 1800's. Elizabeth Barrett parents disapproved so strongly of he marriage to Robert Browning that they disowned her.
Almost weekly, she wrote love letters to her mother and father, asking for reconciliation
They never once replied.
After ten years of letter writing, Elizabeth received a box in the mail.
It contained all of her letters, not one was opened.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning - most highly praised female poet of the Victorian period.
The letters to her parents are among the most beautiful in classical English literature.
Had her parents opened just one, their hearts might have been changed.
The offer of reconciliation was never opened.
God has offered you reconciliation.