Summary: The justification we receive from God motivates us to bless others.
Touched By God to Touch Others For God
This is now the 5th Blessing associated with Justification. “We have now received reconciliation”
‒ Noun and Verb form used 13x in NT.
‒ “a change in relationship”
‒ formerly ENEMIES
‒ now FRIENDS
‒ 4 key passages
★ The BASIS of Reconciliation. Eph 2:16. Reconciled through the cross.
★ The BLESSINGS of Reconciliation. Col 1:20-22.
‒ Peace through his blood.
‒ Without blemish.
‒ Free from accusation.
I preached this SERMON the 1st Sunday of 2004!
★ The BURDEN of Reconciliation. 2 Corinthians 5:18-20. We have been given the ministry of reconciliation.
READ Romans 5:9-11
I. The BASIS of Reconciliation. The CROSS
A. The Cross was needed because we were God’s ENEMIES.
1. Romans 5:10 "For if, when we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!"
2. Colossians 1:21 "Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior."
B. The Cross was needed because God was AGAINST US.
1. Colossians 2:13-14 "When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross."
2. Ephesians 2:1 “ As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins,"
3. Ephesians 2:3 "All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath."
From OBJECTS of WRATH to OBJECTS of LOVE
C. Payment was PROVIDED by CHRIST.
1. The Gospel is a PRECISE MESSAGE. “Missions brings life to a people not by bringing a vague message about God, but a clear message about the Son of God - Jesus Christ - his death, his life, and the justification, reconciliation, and salvation that come from God through him.” John Piper, Dec 12, 1999 sermon. By John Piper. © Desiring God. Website: desiringGod.org
2. Only God can rescue us from his wrath!
3. PROOF of this from Romans 5:9-11. FIVE PASSIVE VERBS
a. 5:9 “we have been justified”
b. 5:9 “we shall be saved”
c. 5:10 “we were reconciled”
d. 5:10 “having been reconciled”
e. 5:10 “we will be saved”
9 πολλον μαλλον δικαιωθέντες νυν ἐν τ αἵματι αὐτο aor passive
σωθησόμεθα διʼ αὐτο ἀπὸ της ὀργης. Future passive
10 εἰ γὰρ ἐχθροὶ ὄντες κατηλλάγημεν το θεω διὰ Aor passive